GATE syllabus for Textile Engineering and Fibre Science 201812:19 am
Textile Engineering is also called textile technology which is the detail analysis of different principles of engineering and scientific methods implemented to process and produce different kinds of textile fabric and yarns from textile fibre. Fibre Science deals with making of strongest engineering materials from fibres.
Fibre is a rope which is used as components of composite materials.From time to time different modification methods and process solutions are employed to fibre science to make it better. Since these two genre of engineering are prospering day by day more and more candidates want to pursue a career in it and so to assist them, we are providing the GATE syllabus for Textile Engineering and Fibre Science 2018 to you.
GATE SYLLABUS FOR TEXTILE ENGINEERING AND FIBRE SCIENCE 2018–
General Aptitude(GA)-Multiple choice question
- This Paper Consists of Verbal Ability: English grammar, verbal analogies, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction,Sentence completion,Word groups.
ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS-A branch of applied mathematics which includes mathematical methods and techniques that are typically used in industry and engineering.
- Linear Algebra: branch of mathematics which does study of operation and application to solve equations. It include topics-Determinants and Matrices, Systems of linear equations, Eigen vectors and Eigen values
- Calculus: mathematical study of change. It include topics-Continuity,Limit and differentiability; Partial Derivatives; Minima and maxima; Series and sequence; Test for convergence; Fourier series.
- Vector Calculus: It include topics- Gradient; Curl and Divergence; surface,line and volume integrals; Stokes, Green and Gauss theorems.
- Differential Equations: Deals with rate of change and slope of curves It includes non-Linear and linear first order ODEs; Higher order linear ODEs with constant coefficients; Euler’s and Cauchy’s equations; Laplace transforms; PDEs -Laplace, wave and heat equations.
- Probability and Statistics:Measure of how likely a thing can occur or a statement is true. It includes-median,mean, mode and standard deviation; Random variables; Poisson, binomial and normal distributions; Correlation and regression analysis.
- Numerical Methods: study of step by step process that uses numerical approximation It includes- Solutions of non- linear and linear algebraic equations; integration of Simpson’s and trapezoidal rule; single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
TEXTILE ENGINEERING AND FIBRE SCIENCE
- Textile Fibres:It is created from natural resources like animal fur,insect cocoons etc.It include topics– Classification of textile fibres; Essential requirements of fibre forming polymers; fine and Gross structure of natural fibres like wool,cotton and silk. Introduction to important bast fibres; properties and uses of man-made and natural fibres;chemical and physical methods of fibre and blend identification and blend analysis.Molecular architecture, crystalline and amorphous phases, glass transition, crystallization, plasticization,melting, factors affecting Tm and Tg; Process of viscose and acetate preparation. Polymerization of nylon-66, nylon-6, poly (ethylene terephthalate), polyacrylonitrile and polypropylene; characteristic features of PET, Melt Spinning processes, polyamide and polypropylene spinning; dry and wet spinning of viscose and acrylic fibres; post spinning operations such as drawing, tow-to-top conversion, heat setting and different texturing methods.Methods of investigating fibre structure e.g., Density, birefringence, X-ray diffraction, electron and optical microscopy, I.R. absorption, thermal methods (DMA/TMA, TGA, DSC); structure and morphology of man-made fibre, mechanical properties of fibre; fibre structure and property correlation.
- Yarn manufacture and yarn structure & properties:Yarn are long continuous interlocked fibres which is used in the production of textiles as well as sewing,knitting etc.It include topics- Principles of cleaning,opening and blending/mixing of fibrous materials, working principle of modern opening and cleaning equipments; the technology of carding, carding of synthetic fibres and cotton ; Drafting operation, roller and apron drafting principle, roller arrangements in drafting systems; causes of mass irregularity introduced by drafting;principles of cotton combing, mechanism and function, combing cycle ,combing efficiency, lap preparation; Roving production, mechanism of bobbin building, recent developments in comber, roving twist; forces acting on yarn and traveler; Principle of ring spinning; ring & traveler designs; mechanism of cop formation, causes of end breakages; working principle of ring doubler and two for one twister, properties of double yarns, , single and folded yarn twist, compact spinning ,production of core spun yarn, principle of non -conventional methods of yarn production such as rotor spinning, wrap spinning, air jet spinning and friction spinning and twist less spinning.Yarn contraction, specific volume, yarn diameter & packing coefficient; twist strength relationship in spun yarns; fibre orientation and configuration in yarn; cause of fibre migration and its estimation, properties of ring, , irregularity index ,rotor and air-jet yarns.
- Fabric manufacture and Fabric Structure:It deals with techniques to manufacture fabric and decide its structure according to the use.It include topics- Principles of cone and cheese winding processes and machines; precision and random winding; yarn tensioners and clearers; different systems of yarn splicing; package faults and their remedies; features of modern cone winding machines; features of modern beam and sectional warping machines; different types of warping creels; different sizing systems, sizing of filament yarns and spun, modern sizing machines; principles of pirn winding processes and machines; secondary and primary motions of loom, fabric appearance and weaving performance; effect of their settings and timings on fabric formation ; Dobby and Jacquard shedding; mechanics of weft insertion with shuttle; weft and wrap stop motions, warp protection, functional principles of weft insertion systems of shuttle-less weaving machines, weft replenishment ,principles of multiphase and circular looms.Principles of warp and weft knitting; basic weft and warp knitted structures. Classification, production and areas of application of nonwoven fabrics.Basic woven fabric constructions and their derivatives: cord, crepe ;terry, leno, gauze and double cloth constructions. Peirce’s equations for fabric geometry; elastica model of plain woven fabrics; cover,thickness and maximum sett of woven fabrics.
- Textile Testing:Its equipment helps to manufacture fibre,fabric,yarn etc.It include topics- Sampling techniques, sampling errors and sampling size.. Measurement of fibre length, crimp, fineness, strength and reflectance; measurement of cotton fibre maturity and trash content; HVI and AFIS for fibre testing. Measurement of twist , yarn count and hairiness; tensile testing of yarns, fibre and fabrics; evenness testing of roving, slivers and yarns; testing equipment for measurement test methods of fabric properties like compressibility, air permeability, thickness, drape, tear strength, crease recovery, bursting strength and abrasion resistance. FAST and Kawabata instruments and systems for objective fabric evaluation..Correlation analysis. significance tests and analysis of variance; control charts and frequency distributions.
- Preparatory Processes:It deals with different processes to prepare.It include topics- Practice and chemistry of preparatory processes for wool,cotton and silk. Mercerization of cotton.Preparatory processes for polyester, nylon, acrylic, polyester/cotton blends.
- Dyeing:It refers to the procedure of adding colors to textile products like yarns, fibre. It include topics- Classification of dyes. Dyeing of wool, silk, cotton, polyester, nylon and acrylic with appropriate dye classes. Dyeing polyester/cotton and polyester/wool blends. Continuous and Batchwise dyeing machines. Dyeing of cotton knitted fabrics and machines used. Dye fibre interaction. Introduction to thermodynamics and kinetics of dyeing. light and rubbing fastness. Methods for determination of wash, Evaluation of fastness properties with the help of grey scale.
- Printing:It deals with the process of application of color to fabric in definite patterns or design.It include topics- Styles of printing. Printing auxiliaries., Printing thickeners including synthetic thickeners. Printing of cotton with reactive dyes. Printing of silk,wool, nylon with acid and metal complex dyes. Methods of dye fixation after printing. Resist and discharge printing of cotton, silk and polyester. Printing of polyester with disperse dyes. Printing of polyester/cotton blends with disperse/reactive combination. Printing of polyester with disperse dyes. Developments in inkjet printing. Printing of polyester with disperse dyes.
- Finishing:It is done in order to give needed functional properties to the fibre or fabric.It include topics- Mechanical finishing of cotton, Stiff,Soft, wrinkle resistant, water repellent, flame retardant and enzyme (bio-polishing) finishing of decatizing, cotton.Milling and shrink resistant finishing of wool.Heat setting of polyester. Antistat finishing of synthetic fibre fabrics.
- Energy Conservation:It deals with conservation of energy.It include- Minimum application techniques.
- Pollution: The pollution caused during the manufacture of textiles and techniques to deal with the effluents.It include – Treatment of textile effluents. Environment pollution during chemical processing of textiles.
Click to download the GATE Syllabus for Textile Engineering and Fibre Science 2018 in pdf GATE 2018 Exam Syllabus for Textile Engineering and Fibre Sciences (TF).pdf
In GATE 2018, aspirants faced strong competitions with top engineering graduates who wish to write GATE due to inactive IT market and 13 PSUs has decided to consider the GATE score for entry into their institutes.This time even candidates are allowed to take scientific calculators which helped them a lot.The formula used to calculate gate score was being changed. So try to follow the syllabus and prepare well to achieve maximum success in life.
If anyone find this article helpful, please give your feedback in the comment box. your feedback will be highly appreciated.