Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering called GATE is one of the tough test and an all India Examination that essentially test the thorough understanding of different subjects in Engineering and Technology in a well manner. It require the exertion of mastering a whole course of engineering(30+ subjects) which provides for it a level of strength in itself.It might be utilized by Public area units for occupation screening purposes. Out of the aggregate engineering who showed up for Gate 2014, just 1,36,699(13.88%) have qualified. Around 1,65,814 hopefuls showed up Gate exam in mechanical designing.
Mechanical Engineering has application in every field of Technology. It is considered to be the evergreen trade. The working style of Mechanical Engineers changes depending on the type and domain of the company they are working with. The need of Mechanical Engineers has raised exponentially over time with the drastic increase in the Industrial Sector. They have tremendous scope in automobile engineering, steel, power sector, Petroleum, Aeronautical and many more. They can also find job very easily in public sector industries such as Indian Railways,Indian Army etc. In modern life virtually every product or services has probably been touched in some way by a mechanical engineer.
Gate syllabus of Mechanical Engineering 2015
GENERAL APTITUDE(GA)- Multiple Choice Test
- This Paper Consists of Verbal Ability: English grammar, verbal analogies, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deductions, sentence completion, Word groups.
ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS- Mathematical branch that includes mathematical methods and techniques that are generally employed in Industry and engineering
- Linear Algebra: Mathematical branch which does study of mathematical process and their application to solve equations. It include Topics-Matrix Algebra, Eigen values and eigen vectors, System of Linear Equations
- Calculus: Mathematical branch that studies change in a mathematical manner. It include topics- Theorems of integral calculus, Mean Value Theorem, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Maxima and minima, Partial Derivatives, Multiple integrals, Fourier series, directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems, Vector Identities.
- Differential equations: It deals with rate of change and curves slope. It include topics-First order equation (linear and nonlinear), Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Method of Variation of parameters,Initial and boundary value problems, Partial Differential Equations and variable separable method, Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients
- Complex variables: It comes under the category of complex analysis. It include topics-Analytic functions,Taylor’s and Laurent’ series, Residue theorem, solution integrals, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula.
- Probability and Statistics: Two different academic disciplines but studied together.Probability is the way to roughly judge the occurrence of a thing or to what extent a statement is true. It includes topics-Sampling theorems, Mean, median, Conditional probability, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Discrete and continuous distributions, Correlation and regression analysis,Poisson, Normal and Binomial distribution.
- Numerical Methods: It consists of set of rules which uses numerical approximation to find an answer to the problems of mathematical analysis..It include topics-Single and multistep methods for differential equations,Solutions of non-linear algebraic equations
APPLIED MECHANICS AND DESIGN-This field inspects the reaction of bodies that is solids and fluids or systems of bodies to outer forces.
- Engineering Mechanics:Helps in detailed examination and forecasting the acceleration and deformation of objects under familiar forces.It include topics- Free body diagrams and equilibrium; virtual work;frames and trusses; kinematics and dynamics of particles and of rigid bodies in plane motion, including impulse and momentum (angular and linear) and energy formulations; impact.
- Strength of Materials: Subject that deals with the how the objects behave being unaffected by stress and strain.It include topics-Strain and stress, stress-strain relationship and elastic constants, Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain, shear force and bending moment diagrams; thin cylinders ;bending and shear stresses; torsion of circular shafts; deflection of beams; Euler’s theory of columns; thermal stresses; strain energy methods.
- Theory of Machines: Branch of science that deals with the detail analysis of motion considered in relation between the different parts of machine.It include topics- velocity and Displacement and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms; dynamic analysis of slider-crank mechanism; flywheels; gear trains.
- Vibrations: Mechanical fact where oscillations occur about an equilibrium point.It include topics-Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems; effect of damping; vibration isolation; critical speeds of shafts, resonance.
- Design:A detailed proposal to build an object or a system. Design for dynamic and static loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram;principles of the design of machine elements such as riveted ,bolted and welded joints, shafts, rolling, spur gears, and sliding contact bearings, clutches and brakes.
FLUID MECHANICS AND THERMAL SCIENCES- It emphasizes on the perception of significance of various basic features of thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Fluid Mechanics:Branch of physics which analyse fluids and the forces on them. It include topics- Fluid properties; manometry, fluid statics, buoyancy; control-volume analysis of mass, energy and momentum; fluid acceleration; differential equations of momentum and continuity ; Bernoulli’s equation; viscous flow of incompressible fluids; elementary turbulent flow; boundary layer; flow through pipes, head losses in bends, pipes etc.
- Heat-Transfer:Branch of Thermal engineering that deals with the production,use,to change from one form to another and exchange of thermal and heat energy between physical system.It include topics- Modes of heat transfer; one dimensional heat conduction, electrical analogy, resistance concept ,unsteady heat conduction, fins; dimensionless parameters in free and forced convective heat transfer, various correlations for heat transfer in flow over flat plates and through pipes; thermal boundary layer; effect of turbulence, black and grey surfaces, radiative heat transfer ;shape factors, network analysis; heat exchanger performance, NTU and LMTD methods.
- Thermodynamics: A division of natural science that deals with heat and the way its connected to energy and work.It include topics-Zeroth, Second and First laws of thermodynamics; thermodynamic system and processes; Carnot cycle.irreversibility and availability; behaviour of real and ideal gases, properties of pure substances; analysis of thermodynamic cycles related to energy conversion; calculation of work and heat in ideal processes
- Applications: Power Engineering: Steam Tables, Rankine, Brayton cycles with regeneration and reheat. I.C. Engines: Diesel cycles. air-standard Otto. Refrigeration and air-conditioning: Vapour refrigeration cycle, gas refrigeration, heat pumps, Reverse Brayton cycle; moist air: psychrometric chart, basic psychrometric processes. Turbomachinery:Pelton-wheel, Kaplan and Francis turbines ,velocity diagrams, impulse and reaction principles
MANUFACTURING AND INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING-Engineering Branch that deals with the best or most effective use of complicated processes or systems.
- Engineering Materials: Field that applies the characteristics of matter to various regions of science and engineering.It include topics-Properties and Structure of engineering materials, heat treatment, stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials.
- Metal Casting:Common Casting Process that is used to make complicated shapes which would be difficult to make by other methods.It include topics- Design of patterns, cores and moulds; cooling and solidification; riser and gating design, design considerations.
- Forming:It employs suitable stresses like compression,shear to form plastic deformation of materials to generate required shapes. It include topics-Plastic deformation and yield criteria; fundamentals of cold and hot working processes; load estimation for bulk ( rolling, forging, extrusion, drawing) and sheet (deep drawing, shearing, bending) metal forming processes; principles of powder metallurgy.
- Joining:Joining unlike parts and pieces together. It include topics-Physics of welding, soldering and brazing; design considerations in welding; adhesive bonding.
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations:Operations like milling,drilling,turning and related operations.It include topics- Mechanics of machining, single and multi-point cutting tools, materials and tool geometry , tool life and wear; economics of machining; principles of work holding, principles of non-traditional machining processes; principles of design of jigs and fixtures
- Metrology and Inspection: It consists of system of ideas and likely to be effective facts of measurements.It include topics- fits,Limits and tolerances; angular and linear measurements; comparators; gauge design; interferometry; form and finish measurement; testing and alignment methods; tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing:It is employed to regulate entire process of producing using computer.It include topics-Basic concepts of CAM/CAD and their integration tools.
- Production Control and Planning-: It is very important for success of a operation Unit.It include topics-Forecasting models, scheduling, aggregate production planning, materials requirement planning.
- Inventory Control:In order to manage storage, make something available and reachable of items in order to ensure an acceptable supply and not excessive oversupply. It include topics-Probabilistic and Deterministic models; safety stock inventory control systems.
- Operations Research:It deals with putting advanced analytical methods into operations to make right decision.It include topics- Linear programming, Duplex and simplex method, transportation, assignment, simple queuing models, CPM and PERT , network flow models.
Although we have tried to bring GATE Syllabus of Mechanical Engineering 2014 through oureducation research and this research is conducted in Sep 2014 but by the time you decide to take decision in GATE Syllabus of Mechanical Engineering 2015, teachers and management of coaching may change so for updated information please mail with contact number ( your number is safe with us) at our email id email@example.com.
Please write your views and comments in the comment box below for quick and better response.Please go through the link and fill this form click here
Jun 17 • 352 Views