Social networking sites
Social networking refers to the use of online social networks such as Facebook, twitter, Hi5 and Google+ to communicate with other people. A social network can include blogs and ways to share text and ideas, groups,private messaging, a chat facility and file- or photo-sharing functions. Social Networking sites have always opened the gates of debates among users and non users. Are Social Networking sites Boon or Bane?
Need of social networking sites:
Social networking is fundamentally shifting the way we interact, communicate, organize, form opinions, and even shop. Its blurring boundaries, increasing transparency and creating ﬂuidity in everything we do. Growing rapidly, companies, large and small, can no longer ignore or try to block social networking in their environment. The reality is you need to go where your target audiences are – and people are more likely to participate in a social media forum than any other venue. Customers, partners, and employees, alike expect to engage with you via social media – it’s a way for you to stay connected, gather feedback, recruit, and collaborate. As a result, you need to support social media in your environment to enable the innovation, increased productivity, and accelerated growth that will drive your business.
Some examples of popular social networking sites:
Facebook: Facebook is a social networking site that allows people to communicate with their friends and exchange information. In May 2007 Facebook launched the Facebook Platform which provides a framework for developers to create applications.
MySpace: MySpace is a social networking site offering an interactive, user-submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs and groups, commonly used for sharing photos, music and videos
Twitter: Twitter is an example of a micro-blogging service. Twitter can be used in a variety of ways including sharing brief information with users and providing support for one’s peers.
G+ OR Google+ : Here while describing about social networking sites we can not miss BIG G Google+ , Although It has not been able to create proper niche in social sites uptill now but business class is pushing it just to help its pages to get upper ranking in google search , Although G+ , according to me is better in terms of features than all other networking sites but then even shifting from facebook , twitter to G+ for normal consumer will take lot of time and we will have to see how long it takes.
Merits of social networking sites
- Finding Good People: Social Networking sites like LinkedIn are a great resource for business owners to find new talent or even partners for a new venture.
- Free Business Promotion: This is probably the biggest advantage for business owners using social networking sites. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and many others are great forums for you to talk about your business, your services and even exhibit your industry expertise.
- Low Cost Advertising: Some social networking sites provide a business owner with the opportunity to advertise to a very specific demographic for very little money. So you can advertise to exactly the customer that you want to attract and save money versus other forms of advertising.
- Application: Through social networking sites, we can get attention of huge number of our target customers at a time, so it can be used to promote business, to advertise for our business, to take taste of the customers that what changes they want. It can be used as a platform to promote and advertise business.
- Build your credibility: By consistently interacting and posting a person can build trust and credibility amongs their audience which in turn can lead to more business.
- Ease of Communication: Social networking sites allow you a fast and free resource for communicating with your customers and potential customers. Announce sales, promotions, special events and more by simply typing your message and posting it to your page or profile.
Demerits of social networking sites
- Privacy: Nowadays, the social-networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter are open for anyone who wants to participate. On social networking sites users express very powerful concerns about privacy of their personal information, but do not care about safeguarding it. Although a lot of the information individuals’ supply on social-networking sites is elective, users are progressively more comfortable with displaying a great deal of personal information online. Therefore, one of the main concerns for users who register in these sites is privacy. So, the privacy is one of the obstacles that have faced the use of social networking in education.
- Real friendship: Through social networking, person has a lot of friend but the quality and integrity of these friendships is not always true. On the other hand, data on these social-networking sites for a person is not always 100% honest and reliable, and they do not verify personal details (age, location, etc.) of their members. While sites provide an opportunity for individuals to present a positive and accurate self-image, there is an equal potential to abuse this openness. So, having many friends through social networking sites is likely to be more harmful than good.
- Time consumption: The amount of time spent by individuals with each other online has risen to greater extent. This has effect on health of individuals, because spending a lot of time browsing these social networks can affect the way the genes operate within the human body, and weakens the immune and hormone levels. In addition, it is also has an impact on mental health. Moreover, the use of social networking in the education can cause lack of motivation towards learning and can be boring sitting in front of computer for a long time.
- Through social networking one can increase own language and communication skill. Being a member of a social network, he become a part of a world community.
- Social networking sites would be very much useful for studies if used efficiently.
- Social networking sites have already conquered the minds of not only young people but also adult people all over the world. It can offer a large scale of interactivity and connectivity without boundaries of distance. It can also evolve as a social media which shares and deals the things from bedroom to parliament. It can become the best media for information transferring media.
CONCLUSION: Social network has made the life of people more easy and interesting, its negative impact has created insecurity among them. Everything has some good effects and some bad effects but it fully depends on individual how to utilize good effect and how to convert bad effects into good effects. At last I would like to conclude “SOCIAL MEDIA SHOULD IMPROVE YOUR LIFE, NOT BECOME YOUR LIFE!”.
It is just social networking sites which offers people to express views FREE of any boundaries and has made every one Journalist.
My conclusion is that Whole social networks are good and it should be used with intelligence…
We value your suggestions feel free to comment below in the comment box.
Sep 3 • 45 Views