C.B.S.E SAMPLE PAPER OF ENGLISH with ENGLISH GRAMMAR FOR CLASS 10 (C.B.S.E)
You can find more sample papers of Class 10 CBSE here
SECTION A (Reading)
1. Read the following poem carefully. (8 marks)
The Fallen Leaves
Why should I be the first to fall
Of all the leaves on this old tree?
Though sadly soon I know that all
Will lose their hold and follow me.
While my birth-brothers bravely blow,
Why should I be first to go?
Why should I be the last to cling
Of all the leaves on this bleak bough?
I’ve fluttered since the fire of Spring
And I am worn and withered now.
I would escape the Winter gale
And sleep soft-silvered by a snail.
When swoop the legions of the snow
To pitch their tents in roaring weather
We fallen leaves will lie below
And rot rejoicingly together;
And from our rich and dark decay
Will laugh our brothers of the May.
1.1. Below is the summary of the poem. Complete it by writing the missing word/ phrase against the correct blank number in your answer sheets.
In the first stanza a fallen leaf laments its fate because it is the (a) ………..to fall while all
its(b). …………………………….are still attached to the tree. In the second stanza another leaf still (c) ………….on the branch of the same tree expresses its grief because it has still not (d) ………………..down. It has been fluttering since (e) ……………….and feels quite (f) ………………now. It is dying to fall off so that it can go to (g)…………………………….. It is looking forward to the approaching (h) ………………which will cover both the trees and the (i) ……………..with snow. Then all the fallen leaves will rejoice together as they (j) ………………..Finally from this soil will arise the fresh(k) ………………….in (l)…………………..
1.2. Complete the following statements on the basis of your reading of the poem. Write your answers in the answer sheets against the correct blank number:
a) The bough has been described as ‘bleak’ because……………. (1)
b) Explain the term ‘to pitch the tents’………………………………. (1)
SECTION B (Writing)
2. Vijaya Subramanium wrote the following letter to the Director, CIEFL, Hyderabad.
Later she decided to send a telegram instead. Using relevant information from the letter, write this telegram using not more than 25 words inclusive of the receiver’s address. Copy the format of the telegram from the question paper in your answer sheet.
St. Joseph’s Convent, Vishal Enclave, Dehradun
Subject: Cancellation of Guest Lecture
This is to inform you and all other distinguished guests from CIEFL, that the guest lecture by Mr. Ruskin Bond, scheduled for 12th April, 2004 has been canceled due to the author’s ill health. The lecture will now be held on 25th April, 2004 at 10 a.m. Please make it convenient to attend the lecture along with your team. The inconvenience caused is deeply regretted. Kindly confirm your presence at the earliest.
(Not To Be Telegraphed)
3. Read the following telephone conversation which took place between Tina and Mrs. Pranya Kelkar. As Tina’s mother is not at home and she herself has to leave for a game of badminton, she writes a message for her mother. Write the message from Tina to her mother in not more than 50 words. Put the message in a box.
Mrs. Kelkar: Hello! Is this 27453980?
Tina: Yes ma’am .May I know who is calling?
Mrs. Kelkar: I am Pranya Kelkar, Mrs. Surjit’s friend .Could I speak to her’?
Tina:1 am her daughter, Tina this side.1 am afraid mama is not at home at the moment. She has gone to the club for a meeting.
Mrs. Kelkar: ln that case Tina ,could you please tell her that I will pick her up from your place at 10 a.m. tomorrow. We will be going to the British Council Library together for the renewal of our membership. She should carry her cheque book and membership card.
Tina :1 will certainly convey the message
Mrs. Kelkar : Thanks Tina .Oh! And don’t forget to tell her that she will have to return home on her own from there as I have an appointment at South Campus.
Tina: I’ll do that.
Mrs. Kelkar: Thanks and bye.
4. Vineet/ Vani Prasad of 29, Rajpur Road, Ambala, comes across the following poster in the newspaper. He/ She is concerned about the spread of diseases during summers and decides to write a letter to the editor of a national daily highlighting the impending possibility of water borne diseases and the dire need for creating awareness about the prevention or such diseases through such informative posters. Using your own ideas and the ideas from the unit on ‘Health’, write Vineet’s/ Vani’s letter in not more than 150 words.
Here comes the summer … And Also the Possibility of Diseases Like Cholera and Gastroenteritis Prevention Is Better Than Cure
If patient is restless/unconscious, has fever/blood in stool, is eating/drinking poorly CONSULT THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. Use Oral Re hydration Solution Available At All Health Centers Free of Cost.
o Drink only safe water
o Keep food items covered
o Eat only freshly cooked food
o Wash hands before preparing or eating food…
5. Vaibhav/ Vibha Asher is quite concerned about the increasing incidence of deaths and accidents caused due to the endemic disorder called road rage. He/ She decides to write an article on the need for people to control their anger and inculcate the habit of disciplined driving.
Study the following information and write Vaibhav’s article in not more than 200 words.
CAUSES OF ROAD RAGE
INTOLERANCE AND LACK OF SELF DISCIPLINE
BEHAVIORAL PATTERN- SENSE OF SUPERIORITY
DUE TO OWNING BIGGER VEHICLE
FAMILY AND WORK RELATED STRESS
EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT INFLUENCED
STRESS [E.G. RAGE GREATER IN SUMMER]
CITY LAYOUT, TRAFFIC JAMS, DELAYS
ABSENCE OF SEVERE PENALTY FOR
Avoid road rage-be a disciplined motorist
o Know traffic rules
o Be courteous to fellow drivers
o Start before time if you have an appointment
o Maintain your cool-don’t carry stress while driving
o Check your words and actions; count ten when angry.
LICENCE TO DRIVE IS NOT LICENCE TO KILL
SECTION C (Grammar)
6. Look at the notes given below. Then use the information to complete the paragraph by writing suitable words or phrases in each space. Do not add any new information. Write only the correct answer against the correct blank number in your answer sheet.
Solar family expands-Planetoid Sedna spotted-most distant object orbiting the sun-discovered by Spitzer’s piercing infrared rays-till now shrouded in mystery-Pluto not as big as Sedna.
New Member in the Solar Family
Our solar family (a) __________________________________Seventy four years after Pluto was discovered, scientists (b) ______________________a planetoid, Sedna, which is the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun. Space telescope Spitzer’s piercing infrared rays (c) _______________________ possible. Otherwise Sedna (d) _______________________shrouded in the mysterious vastness of space. Moreover, Sedna (e) ________________________ than Pluto.
7. In the passage given below, one word has been omitted in each line. Write the missing word along with the word that comes before and the word that comes after it in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. Ensure that the word that forms your answer is underlined.
(1/2X6= 3 marks)
Twenty years ago, kids in school never even e.g. school had never
heard the internet. The internet is a vast resource a)
for types of information. It is like a giant bulletin b)
board that the whole world uses! But anyone can put c)
anything the internet, you have to be careful. You must d)
use your best judgment browsing it. And you e)
can’t rely on what strangers you ‘meet’ the internet tell you either. f)
8. Look at the words and phrases below. Rearrange them to form meaningful sentences. The first one has been done as an example.
Write the corrected sentence in your answer sheet against the correct blank number.
(1/2X6= 3 marks)
eg. are/ Indian temples/a storehouse/Indian art/of
Indian temples are a storehouse of Indian art.
(a) the temple architecture / form an / the sculptures and paintings /of /essential part
(b) the architecture / engineering marvel / is both / an artistic masterpiece / and an / in some temples
(c) is / situated in / the Konark temple, / dedicated to / the north-eastern corner of Puri, / the Sun God
(d) of a chariot/ with the / the temple / as the / Sun God / is in the form / charioteer
e) is famous for / its sculptures / representing the / the temple / of warriors, animals and lovers / daily life
f) in bygone eras /stand testimony /many Indian temples / that existed / high level of art /to the
9. Look at the newspaper items below. Then use the information in the headlines to complete the paragraphs. Write the answers in your answer sheets against the correct blank number.
Do not copy the whole sentence
(a) POLICE RECOVER ILLICIT LIQUOR
Delhi police report that 15 crates of _________________________________ by them from
three persons at Timarpur in North Delhi today.
(b) JASPAL RANA WINS CENTRE FIRE GOLD
India ‘s medal tally went up when ace shooter ____________________in the centre- fire pistol.
(c) DIRECTOR INAUGURATES BANK EXTENSION COUNTER
The Managing Director of the Syndicate bank ____________________________at the ‘Heart
and Lung Institute’ in Chandigarh yesterday.
(d) QUESTION PAPERS LEAK: DELHI EXAMS POSTPONED
Delhi Exams for classes VI to IX and XI ________________________ following __________
of the English and Sanskrit papers.
Feb 3 • 9 Views
Jan 16 • 195 Views
Jan 16 • 206 Views