Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) is a professional certification which is provided by International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (EC-Council.) An ethical hacker is employed by an organization who trusts him/her to attempt to penetrate different network and computer systems by using the same methods as a hacker but for the purpose of finding and fixing computer security vulnerabilities. The unauthorized hacking is a crime in most countries. But penetration testing is done on request so it is not any crime.
A Certified Ethical Hacker has obtained a certification in how to look for the weaknesses and vulnerabilities in systems and uses the same information and tools as a hacker does. The code for the CEH exam is 312-50 and the certification is in Version 8 as of late 2013.
- Foot-printing and reconnaissance
- Process of Hacking web servers and wireless networks
- Penetration testing
- Social engineering
- Trojans, viruses, and worms
- Evading IDS, firewalls, and honeypots
- Buffer overflows
DETAILS OF CEH:
- CEH exam is a relative to the IT certification industry, more specifically its new version but its significance and influence have grown very quickly.
- The exam was the first certification to bring the dark side of IT industry into the limelight which was provided by the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants( EC-Council),
- Before it, there was no certification that focused on the methods and tools used by hackers to penetrate computer systems & information.
- The CEH exam focuses on how hackers find and exploit vulnerabilities of a system. It provides a glimpse into the underworld of IT network security.
- The subject matter tested in the exam includes everything from the tools of the trade to ethics.
- CEH certification make you capable of wide range of other jobs in IT in addition to requirement of penetration tester.
- CEH significantly helps IT professionals who are seeking a position in the public sector. In 2004, various changes have made to many of government bodies which mandates that employees in specific job roles meet certification requirements of those roles.
- CEH certification fills requirement for Computer Network Defense workers. As well as for civilians and contractors hoping to land IT positions in government, CEH certification is a vital characteristic to have.
- CEH certification covers vivid requirements for Computer Network Defense (CND) Analyst, CND Infrastructure Support, CND Incident Responder etc.
In order to be eligible to attempt EC-Council CEH v8or ECSA v4 certification exams, candidate may choose to :-
Attend Official Training:
If any candidate attends an official instructor-led training (ILT), computer-based training (CBT), online live training, or academic learning, candidate is eligible to attempt the relevant EC-Council exam.
Attempt Exam without Official Training:
In order to be considered for the EC-Council certification exam without attending official training, aspirant:
- Must have at least experience of two years in information security.
- Educational Background with specialization in information network & security.
- Submit a completed copy of Exam Eligibility Application Form.