GATE Syllabus for Biotechnology3:35 pm
GATE EXAM is one of the toughest test all India Examination that basically test the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. In GATE 2014, female candidates (72%) were less in comparison to male candidates (88%) who appeared the test. 81% of the total no. of candidates who appeared for GATE are from ECE, CS&IT, Mechanical and Electrical. As per the candidate supplied category information, among the ones who qualified, 72,125 are of General, 41,237 are of OBC-NC, 18,936 are of SC and 4,401 are of ST category. Out of the total candidates who registered for GATE 2014, only 82.02% had given the exam out of which 13.88% have qualified.Women comprises of 39.75% of the total registration whereas men consists of 60.25%. Below is the GATE Syllabus for Biotechnology with topic details to assist biotech students.
Biotechnology application is very vast.It satisfy the need of industrial sector such as food and beverages industry, textiles industry, medicines etc and on the other hand it also satisfy the need of agriculture,nutrition, animal and husbandry etc. This branch of science along with biology fully understand diverse subjects like physics,chemistry and mathematics. Students are showing great curiosity in this as the technical and procedural application of bio-technology reach vast region of disciplines. To take up biotechnology as a career one must have sound knowledge in science and also one must have general aptitude for science and scientific applications.This branch have been making balanced progress.According to a survey India is suppose to become an international focal point for the biotechnology development. Let’s have a look over the GATE syllabus of biotechnology for GATE Exam 2015 in detail-
GATE SYLLABUS FOR BIOTECHNOLOGY-
General Aptitude(GA)-Multiple Choice Test
- This Paper Consists of Verbal Ability: English grammar, verbal analogies, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction,Sentence completion,Word groups.
ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS-Mathematical branch that includes mathematical methods and techniques that are generally employed in Industry and engineering.
- Linear Algebra: Mathematical branch which does study of operation and applying it to find an answer to equations.It include topics- Determinants and matrices, Systems of linear equations, Eigen vectors and Eigen vaules.
- Calculus:Mathematical study of change. It include topics- continuity, limit & differentiability, Partial derivatives, Minima and maxima, Sequences and series, Fourier Series,Test for convergence.
- Differential Equations: Deals with rate of change and slope of curves. It include topics- Non-Linear and linear first order ODEs, higher order ODEs with constant coefficients, Euler’s and Cuachy’s equations,Laplace transforms, PDE- Laplace, wave and heat equations.
- Probability and Statistics: Probability is the way to roughly judge the occurrence of a thing or to what extent a statement is true.It include topics- median, Mean,mode & standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, binomial and normal distributions, Correlation and regression analysis.
- Numerical Methods: It consists of set of rules which uses numerical approximation to find an answer to the problems of mathematical analysis.It include topics-Solution of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, Integration of Simpson’s and Trapezoidal rule, Multi step and single step methods for differential equations.
- Microbiology:Detail analysis of microscopic organisms.It include topics- Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic cell structure; Microbial nutrition, control and growth; Microbial metabolism (anaerobic and aerobic respiration, photosynthesis); Nitrogen fixation; Chemical basis of mutagens and mutation; Microbial genetics (plasmids, transduction,transformation, conjugation); Microbial diversity and characteristic features; Viruses.
- Biochemistry:Analysis of chemical processes within and related to living organisms. It include topics are- Biomolecules and their conformation; Weak inter-molecular interactions in bio macromolecules; Kinetics of single substrate and bi-substrate enzyme catalyzed reactions; Chemical and functional nature of enzymes ;Bioenergetics; Metabolism (TCA and Oxidative phosphorylation, Glycolysis); Membrane transport and pumps; Cell cycle and cell growth control; Cell signaling and signal transduction.
- Molecular Biology and Genetics: Deals with the molecular basis of biological activity and genetics is detail study of genes. It include topics -Molecular structure of genes and chromosomes; DNA replication and control; Translational processes; Transcription and its control; Regulatory in prokaryotes,eukaryotes;Mendelian inheritance;Geneinteraction; Complementation; recombination and chromosome mapping; Extrachromosomal inheritance; Chromosomal variation; Population genetics; Molecular basis of genetic diseases and applications, Transposable elements.
- Process Biotechnology: All about basic aspects of biotechnology. It include topics- Bio process technology for the production of cell biomass and primary/secondary metabolites, such as baker’s yeast, citric acid,ethanol, amino acids, exo-polysacharides, pigments and antibiotics etc.; Microbial production, purification and bio process application(s) of industrial enzymes; Production & purification of recombinant proteins on a large scale; Chromatographic & membrane based on bio separation methods; Immobilization of enzymes and cells and their application for bio conversion processes.
- Anaerobic and aerobic biological processes for stabilization of solid / liquid wastes; Bioremediation.
- Bioprocess Engineering: Deals with the planning,development of equipment and processes to make products like food, feed, chemicals etc on a large scale. It includes topics- Kinetics of microbial growth, substrate utilization and product formation; Simple structured models; Batch, fed-batch and continuous processes; Sterilization of air and media ;Aeration and agitation; Rheology of fermentation fluids; Mass transfer in bioreactors; Scale-up concepts; Various types of microbial and enzyme reactors; Instrumentation in bioreactors;Design of fermentation media.
- Plant and Animal Biotechnology: Deals with the accumulation of all scientific techniques that can be used to create,modify plants,animals.It include topics- Special features and organization of plant cells; Totipotency; Regeneration of plants;Biochemistry of major metabolic pathways and products; Autotrophic and heterotrophic growth; Plant products of industrial importance ;Plant growth regulators and elicitors; Cell suspension culture development: kinetics of growth, methodology,and production formation, nutrient optimization; Production of secondary metabolites by plant suspension cultures; Hairy root cultures and their cultivation. Techniques in raising transgencies.
- Characteristics of animal cells: Eukaryotic cells which contains membrane bound organelles and its various traits.It include topics- Metabolism, regulation and nutritional requirements for mass cultivation of animal cell cultures; Product and substrate transport; Kinetics of cell growth and product formation and effect of shear force; Hybridoma technology; Live stock improvement; Cloning in animals; Genetic engineering in animal cell culture; Micro & macro-carrier culture; Animal cell preservation.
- Immunology:It deals with all features of the immune system in all organisms.It include topics- The origin of immunology; Humoral and cell mediated immunity; Inherent immunity; Primary and secondary lymphoid organ; Antigen; T and B cells and Macrophages; Major histocompatibility complex (MHC); Synthesis of antibody and secretion; Antigen processing and presentation; Molecular basis of antibody diversity; monoclonal and polyclonal antibody; Regulation of immune response; Antigen-antibody reaction; Immune tolerance; Hyper sensitivity; Graft versus host reaction ; Autoimmunity.
- Recombinant DNA Technology:Technology used to bring together genetic material from various sources to generate sequences which is not found in biological organisms. It include topics- Restriction and modification enzymes; Vectors: plasmid, bacteriophage and other viral vectors, Ti plasmid, cosmids, yeast artificial chromosome; cDNA and genomic DNA library; Gene cloning ;Gene isolation; Expression of cloned gene; Transposons and gene targeting; DNA labeling; Polymerase chain reactions; DNA sequencing; Southern and northern blotting; In-situ hybridization; DNA fingerprinting; RAPD; RFLP; Gene transfer technologies; Gene therapy; Site-directed mutagenesis.
- Bioinformatics:Applying computer technology to regulate biological information.It include topics- Major bioinformatics resources ( EBI, NCBI, ExPASy); Sequence and structure databases; Sequence analysis (biomolecular sequence file formats, sequence alignment, scoring matrices, phylogeny); Genomics and Proteomics (Large scale genome sequencing strategies; Understanding DNA micro-arrays, Comparative genomics,and protein arrays); Molecular modelling and simulations (basic concepts including concept of force fields).
Download GATE Syllabus of Biotechnology in pdf
Related links GATE Syllabus:
- GATE Syllabus for Mining Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Physics
- GATE Syllabus for Production Engineering
- GATE Sample Paper for Computer Network
- GATE Syllabus for Aerospace Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Agricultural Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Electronics and Communication
- GATE Syllabus for Instrumentation Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Mathematics
- GATE Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Metallurgical Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Architecture and Planning
- GATE Syllabus for Life Science
- GATE Syllabus for Civil Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Chemical Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Computer Science and Engineering
- GATE Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
Although Gate syllabus for Biotechnology has been created in June 2018 but we advice students preparing for Gate 2018 to confirm syllabus once again with us by mailing at firstname.lastname@example.org , because by time you might have started preparing , little change in syllabus would have come. While mailing your requirements , mail your contact details as well with credentials of your graduation , so that we may be in position to guide you better for GATE exams
Readers are requested to give their valuable comments using comment section given below.