GATE Syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering 2018 or GATE Production and Industrial Engineering4:11 am
GATE Syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering 2018. GATE which stands for Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering is one of the toughest test, an all India Examination that basically test the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology in a smart way. In GATE 2017, female candidates(72%) were less in comparison to male candidates(88%) who gave the test.This time 81% of the total no.of candidates who gave GATE are from ECE, CS&IT, Mechanical and Electrical. As per the candidate supplied category information, among the qualified ones, 72,125 are of General, 41,237 are of OBC-NC, 18,936 are of SC and 4,401 are of ST category. Out of the total candidates who registered for GATE 2017, 82.02% had given the exam out of which 13.88 qualified. Women comprises of 39.75% only of the total registrants whereas men consists of 60.25%.
GATE Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
Industrial engineering is the branch that deals with the optimization of complex processes
and system and is employed to enhance the efficiency & performance in Industry and Service Sectors. Production Engineering is a combination of manufacturing technology and management science and it has vast scope in manufacturing and automation field. A production engineer’s work is to control the manufacturing department.There are lot of openings in different countries and experience is the base of all.In government sector freshers can join as junior engineer and can go up the ladder. Let’s go for the complete GATE Syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering 2017 in detail-
SYLLABUS- GATE Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
General Aptitude(GA)-Multiple choice test
- This Paper Consists of Verbal Ability: English grammar, verbal analogies, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction,Sentence completion,Word groups.
ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS-Branch of applied mathematics consists of mathematical methods and techniques that are typically used in industry and engineering
- Linear Algebra: Branch of mathematics which does study of operation and their application to solving equations. It include topics-Systems of linear equations, Eigen vectors and eigen values,Matrix algebra.
- Calculus: It is mathematical study of change .It include topics-Functions of single variable, continuity,limit and differentiability, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of Improper and definite integrals, Total derivative,Partial Derivatives, Minima and maxima, curl, Divergence and Gradient, Vector identities, Surface,line and Volume integrals, Directional derivatives, Stokes, Green and Gauss theorems.
- Differential equations: It deals with rate of change and slope of curves It include topics-First order equations (non linear and linear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Euler’s and Cauchy’s equations, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional wave and heat equations and Laplace equation , Initial and boundary value problems.
- Complex variables: : It comes under complex analysis category. It include topics– It include topics- Cauchy’s integral theorem, Laurent and Taylor series, Analytic functions.
- Probability and Statistics: two different academic disciplines but studied together .It include topics-Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Mean, mode,median and standard deviation,Poisson, Binomial and Normal distributions , Random variables, Conditional probability.
- Numerical Methods: study of step by step approach that uses numerical approximation. It include topics- Numerical solutions of non-linear and linear algebraic equations Integration by Simpson’s and Trapezoidal’s rule, Multi-step and single methods for differential equations.
- Engineering Materials:It refers to material science.It include topics- Structure and properties of engineering materials and their applications; strain rate ,effect of strain and temperature on mechanical properties of metals and alloys; heat treatment of alloys and metals, its influence on mechanical properties.
- Applied Mechanics:It deals with the reaction of bodies to external forces.It include topics- Engineering mechanics – equivalent force systems, equations of equilibrium; strength of materials – stress, strain and their relationship, free body concepts, Mohr’s circle, deflection of beams, Euler’s theory of columns,bending and shear stress.
- Theory of Machines and Design: It refers to employment of power to reach desired forces and movement. It include topics-Analysis of planar mechanisms; followers and Cam; governers and fly wheels; design of elements – failure theories; design of bolted, welded and riveted joints; design of shafts, spur gears, keys, belt drives, clutches and brakes.
- Thermal Engineering:It refers to heating and cooling of processes,enclosed environment and equipment.It include topics- Fluid mechanics – fluid statics, flow through pipes, Bernoulli’s equation, equations of continuity and momentum; thermodynamics – first ,zeroth and second law of thermodynamics, thermodynamic processes and systems, calculation of heat and work for systems and control volumes; air standard cycles; basics of steam turbines and internal combustion engines ; heat transfer – fundamentals of convection , conduction and radiation,heat exchangers.
- Metal Casting:It is done to give complex shapes that would be difficult to make by other methods.It include topics- Casting processes – applications and types; patterns – materials and types; allowances; cores and moulds – materials, making and testing; casting techniques of cast iron, steels and nonferrous alloys and metals; solidification; design of casting, risering and gating; casting inspection, remedies and defects.
- Metal Forming:Different techniques employed for formation of metals.It include topics- Stress-strain relations in plastic and elastic deformation; concept of flow stress, deformation mechanisms;cold and hot working – forging, extrusion,rolling, wire and tube drawing; sheet metal working processes such as piercing,blanking, bending, deep drawing,embossing and coining; analysis of rolling, extrusion,forging and rod/wire drawing; metal working defects.
- Metal Joining Processes:It deals with different joining processes.It include topics- Welding processes – manual metal arc,TIG,MIG, plasma arc, submerged arc, thermit, electro slag, resistance,friction, forge and explosive welding;other joining processes – soldering, braze welding, brazing; inspection of welded joints, remedies and decfects; introduction to advanced welding processes – ultrasonic, laser beam; electron beam ;thermal cutting.
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations:Different methods used for machining and machine tool operations.It include topics– Basic machine tools; machining processes-turning, drilling, milling,boring, planing,shaping, gear cutting, broaching, thread production,grinding, lapping, honing, super finishing; mechanics of machining – geometry of cutting tools,cutting forces, chip formation and power requirements, selection of machining parameters; Merchant’s analysis; tool materials, tool life and tool wire, economics of machining, thermal aspects of machining, machinability ,cutting fluids; principles and applications of nontraditional machining processes – AJM,USM, EDM,WJM and Wire cut LBM, EDM,EBM, CHM,PAM, ECM.
- Tool Engineering:Deals with planning of tooling & various processes required to manufacture certain products.It include topics– fixtures and jigs – applications,principles and design; press tools – configuration, design of punch and die; principles of forging die design.
- Metrology and Inspection: It refers to the science of measurements.It include topics-Fits,Limits and tolerances, selective assembly, interchangeability; linear and angular measurements by optical and mechanical methods, comparators; design of limit gauges; measurement of straightness, flatness, squareness , roundness and symmetry; surface finish measurement; inspection of gears and screw threads; alignment testing of machine tools.
- Powder Metallurgy:Deals with the procedure to blend fine powdered materials,giving them required shape and than heating to bond the material.It include topics- Production of metal powders, compaction and sintering.
- Polymers and Composites: Polymer is large molecules that consist of subunits.Composite materials refer to composition of materials.It include topics- Introduction to composites and polymers; plastic processing – injection, blow molding and Compression, extrusion, calendaring and thermoforming; molding of composites.
- Manufacturing Analysis:Analyis in order to find any defects or errors.It include topics- Sources of errors in manufacturing; tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly; process capability; process planning; comparison of production alternatives and parameter selection, time and cost analysis; manufacturing technologies – selection and strategies.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Use of computer to manage the information.It include topics-Basic concepts of CAM,CAD, CAPP, cellular manufacturing, NC, DNC,CNC, Robotics, CIM and FMS.
- Product Design and Development:Different principles and techniques employed to design product and for its development.It include topics- Principles of good product design; quality and cost considerations; tolerance design ,product life cycle; standardization, simplification, concurrent engineering, diversification, value engineering and analysis.
- Engineering Economy and Costing:It refers to cost analysis.It include topics- Elementary cost accounting and methods of depreciation, techniques for evaluation of capital investments, break-even analysis, financial statements.
- Work System Design:Design and planning of work system in such a way that everything works smoothly.It include topics- Taylor’s scientific management, Gilbreths’s contributions; productivity – measurements and concepts;methodstudy, principles of motion economy; micro-motion study ,work measurement – work sampling, stop watch time study, standard data, ergonomics;PMTS; job evaluation, incentive scheme merit rating , and business process reengineering, wage administration.
- Facility Design:It refers to set of guidelines,technical specification & details of drawing.It include topics- Facility location factors and evaluation of alternate locations; computer aided layout design techniques; types of plant layout and their evaluation; assembly line balancing; materials handling systems.
- Production Planning and Inventory Control:It refers to planning of production that is different techniques employed and inventory controls the supply of materials.It include topics- Forecasting techniques – time series and casual models, exponential smoothing, moving average, trend and seasonality; aggregate production planning; master production scheduling; MRP-II and MRP; flow control and order control; routing, priority dispatching and scheduling; pull and push production systems, concept of JIT manufacturing system; distribution, logistics and supply chain management; Inventory – costs, functions, classifications, deterministic and probabilistic inventory models, quantity discount;periodic and perpetual inventory control systems.
- Operation Research:Applying advanced analytical methods to make good decision.It include topics- Linear programming – problem formulation, duality, simplex method and sensitivity analysis; assignment and transportaion models; constrained optimization and Lagrange multipliers; network flow models ,simple queuing models; dynamic programming; simulation – manufacturing applications;CPM and PERT, resource leveling, time-cost trade-off.
- Quality Management:To make production faster ,better and economical.It include topics- Quality – costs and concepts, quality assurance; quality circles, statistical quality control, zero defects, acceptance sampling, total quality management, six sigma; ISO 9000; design of experiments – Taguchi method.
- Reliability and Maintenance:It refers to durability and maintaining of things.It include topics- availability,Reliabilityand maintainability; distribution of failure and repair times; determination of MTTR and MTBF, system reliability determination; reliability models; preventive maintenance and replacement, total productive maintenance – applications and concepts.
- Management Information System:It deals with the techniques to manage information.It include topics– Value of information; information storage and retrieval system –data structures and database; knowledge based systems.
- Intellectual Property System:It include topics- Definition of intellectual property, importance of TRIPS,IPR and its implications, copyright, patent, trademark and industrial design
Click to get the GATE syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering 2017 in pdf GATE 2017 Exam Syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering (PI).pdf