If you are wondering how to prepare for psychology optional for UPSC IAS mains Exam, then here are some tips you should go with:
- NCERT: you should try NCERT 11th and 12th books and make some notes. It will give you good ideas about psychology. You will be aware of many terms and names etc. NCERT books contain the relevant matter and cover almost all topics in precise manner. You will definitely find the best information about the subject and you will get clear ideas and basic knowledge of it.
- Questions of UPSC: it will give you an idea about what kind of questions are asked and what type of answers are predictable. You should better check how questions are asked in this exam as it helps figure out the important topics in this subject.
- Plan: after completing step 1 and 2, you will get an idea and understand that how much you have to study and how much do you require connecting with different things. You should consider the things that you need to focus on.
- There are two different parts of psychology: concepts and application
Students refer various books and notes for study it. But you can’t read all books cover to cover because there are lots of books. so you can read it topic wise to clear your concepts.
I will suggest you few books:
- Transaction analysis with gestalt experiment by murial James,
- A Scientific theory of social behavior by Michal Argyle,
- Theory of Psychological Measurement by Edwin E. Ghiselli Etc
You should only read a challenging topic from different books I have mentioned above. Once you are done with books, then you should look for other sources. These books are best and contain to the point information that help crack exam easily.
You can also go with Google and search for things and go for IAS notes available online for free. And when you are sure that your concept is clear, you make lengthy notes.
Application: this is very significant part of your research. It will take most of your preparation time because there is not one exacting foundation where you will go and download material. so here is what you can do:
* Journals: you can read various magazines which you regularly search on Google.
* Psychology Today: it is a Bi- Monthly Periodical and a good provision for mind for motivating ideas. It’s an American journal but still relatively supportive.
* News Paper: reading newspaper is very important because the small articles in newspaper give us the thought and plan of the studies and affairs going on.
Apart from all this you can attempt to answer each subjects answer bearing in mind it a question of psychology. Particularly questions related to public issues, improvement, education, forced etc.
After a prelim is over, you can start solving question papers topic wise. No matter how much knowledge have you gained till date but you have to solve question paper. You should know how you can write answers in proper way by keeping this subject in mind. Presenting your knowledge in paper is entirely a different thing so better practice papers before going for it.