For Good Management, Good Manager has always been a mandatory requirement. H.S.M Burns once said: “A good manager is a man who isn’t worried about his own career but rather the careers for those who works for him”. And for this regard, we can justify the IIMs Indian Institute of Management as the place where the good managers are created.IIMs stand for Indian Institutes of Management and are best business school in India. These institutes were established with the aim of providing quality management education. And they are performing above the level to comply with their objective right from their establishment.
IIMs are a group of 13 public institutes broadly situated in 13 different major cities across different states of India. The list of these 13 cities is:
1. Kolkata, West Bengal
2. Ahmedabad, Gujarat
3. Bangalore, Karnataka
4. Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
5. Kozhikode, Kerala
6. Indore, Madhya Pradesh
7. Shilong, Meghalaya
8. Rohtak, Haryana
9. Ranchi, Jarkahnd
10. Raipur, Chhattisgarh
11. Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
12. Udaipur, Rajasthan
13. Kashipur, Uttarakhand
Education At IIMs
The IIMs offers postgraduate, doctoral and executive programmes. Some of the programmes offered by the IIMs are as follows:
1. Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)
2. Fellow Programme in Management (Full time Doctoral level programme in Management)
3. IIMs also offer short term programmes for working professionals. These are Management Development Programme (MDP), Advanced Master Program in Management of Global Enterprise (AMPM), and Executive General Management Program.
Some other programmes offered by different IIMs are:
- IIM Ahemdabad offers Armed Forces Programme (a six month full time programme).
- IIM Ahemdabad and Bangalore offers Post Graduate Programme in Public Management and Policy (PGM-PMP) and Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy Management (PGPPM).
- IIM Bangalore offers a part time programme of two year duration, Post Graduate Programme in Software Enterprise Management (PGPSEM).
- IIM Indore offers 5 year Integrated Programmes in Management (IPM), that is a combined undergraduate-cum-graduate diploma.
Admission Procedure in IIMs
The admission in IIMs is broadly dependent on the entrance exam, commonly known as CAT (Common Aptitude Test). It’s a management aptitude test conducted by IIMs for evaluation of the students for two year PGP programmes. And for international/overseas flagship students it asks for their GMAT scores in lieu of CAT scores.
- For Doctoral programmes, IIMs require candidates to make a presentation of broad research idea or sometimes evaluation is done on the basis of Research Aptitude Test (RAT).
- Final round of admission involve interview before which the IIMs conduct other assessment options like written assessment tests or group discussion to short list students.
Following is the description of Top 5 IIMs across country.
IIM Calcutta (Indian Institute of Management Calcutta) was the first IIM to be established in 1961. It is one of the finest business schools in Asia. For their students, they offer intellectual path, abundant resources for an individual to provide excellence connection to worldwide.
- Course Offered: IIM Calcutta offers full-time programmes in PGDCM, Executives PGPEX, PGPEX-VLM, FPM, PGDM
- Achievement: IIM Calcutta is the only Indian business school that is a member of the Global Alliance in Management Education.
IIM Ahmedabad (Indian Institute of Management Ahmadabad) was the second IIM to be established on December 1961 with an aim of becoming an Institute that is globally respected and recognized as a leader in management field. IIMA basically focus on providing an administrative practice to their students in order to enhance performance of organizations in future.
- Course Offered: IIM Ahmedabad offers following full-time programmes in PGP, PGPX, FDP, PGP-PMP
- Achievement: IIMA is ranked as Indian’s top B-school and continues their winning to become more recognized a Global B-School.
IIM Bangalore (Indian Institute of Management Bangalore) is one of the best autonomous institutes which was established in 1973. IIMB is considered among the top business schools in India according to domestic and international surveys. For various courses IIM Bangalore awards only Diplomas.
- Course offered: The Institute offers a wide range of Doctoral, Post-Graduate, and Executive Education programmes as the two-year PGP, PGSEM, PGPPM, EPGP, FPM, EEP.
- Achievement: As per ranking of Business Today in 2012 IIMB has come out in top position in India.
IIM Lucknow (Indian Institute of Management Lucknow) was established in 1984 as the fourth Indian Institute of Management (IIM) by the Government of India. It is one of the best business school in India. This institute mainly focuses on research and education in the area of management with the support of faculty from leading university from worldwide.IIM Lucknow has campus area which is spread in 200 acres.
- Admission: The admission for the post graduate and fellowship programmes is done through Common Admission Test (CAT), while GMAT score is used for the executive MBA program.
- Course Offered: IIM Lucknow offers programmes as PGPM, PGPABM, IPMX, FPM, WMP.
- Achievement: The institute was ranked on No. 5 position by the Business Today in the list of 50 best business schools of 2011.
IIM Kozhikode (Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode) was founded in the year of 1996 by State Government of Kerala and was the fifth IIM to be established. The Institute has very good International Exchange Programme for students as well as for faculties. The campus is spread over an area about 100 acres. This institute got the position of one of the best business schoool.
- Course offered: The institute offers courses like PGP, FPM, FDP, MPD, EPGP.
- Achievement: The institute was ranked as top position holder by the Hindustan Times in the best list of business schools.