Is it good to join an Online Coaching for UPSC, Civil Services?
The traditional classroom model of teaching with teacher-student direct interaction was the only option till before a few years back when YouTube rose like a revolution and brought forward a concept of E-Learning. The use of technology over the last decade almost in every field has been revolutionary and same trend has been seen in the Educational Sector too. This technological revolution has changed the way we look at things and changed the way we want our children to study. First the advent of Internet proved to be a blessing as we got a tremendous source of knowledge with unlimited potential.
The concepts of E-Learning and Online classrooms are being widely accepted worldwide and even in India. With the start of 21st century, we had witnessed an unbelievable growth in the rise of Internet. As Internet reached every corner of the country and with increasing access to Smartphones, the experts from every part of the country started sharing their knowledge in the form of Video Lectures and Online Classes. We used to hear about the life experiences of our elder generations and almost everyone’s parents used to say that they used to travel miles to study and gain education in school. But now, the times have changed and a student has got the best of knowledgeable content at the comfort of their fingertips.
Online Classes – Pros
• The students get flexibility to juggle their schedules as online classes can be accessed as any convenient time which would help them to engage themselves into other activities of their interest as they will not be time-bound.
• Most students prefer this mode of learning as it gives them power over how they will delegate their time towards their different projects.
• Online learning can be cost effective as it can save expenses on various elements such as transport/commuting costs, parking, vehicle maintenance and public transportation costs.
• Online education also provides students with the chance to network with peers across the country or even from any country around the world through which people with similar interests can share their knowledge.
• In traditional classrooms, the students may not get the personalised attention they may need, to have their concepts clarified.
• Online guided discussions and personal talk time with their teachers and professors, is a hallmark of online classes as this increases instructor-student time.
• An online college or institution may provide the students an access to specialised degree courses that may not be available in an easily accessible local institution of learning.
Online Classes – Cons
• The digital shift to online classes may alienate economically disadvantaged students who don’t have access to the technology digital lessons require and are inaffordable for them.
• The internet exposure can put students to risk of “Online Sexual Exploitation and grooming”, as predatory adults may look to exploit such weak elements of the society on Internet.
• More than half of the total student population of the world do not have access to household computer or smartphone and around 43% have no internet connection at home.
• Even with the students having access to internet connections, not all get good speeds from the internet operators in different geographic locations of our country.
• Many students don’t have access to devices like laptops, smartphones or money to keep the internet connection going.
• There are also security concerns regarding cyber crimes as there might be hacking of data by hackers which in turn may have some very serious consequences.
• Increasing exposure to screen gadgets may pose serious consequences in the form of threat to mental health of the students.
Online Coaching – Driving UPSC (Civil Services) Dream
Anudeep Durishetty when was declared UPSC topper in the year 2018, was quoted saying that, “YouTube is the best tutor”. It is clear from his example that internet has given a lot of freedom to aspirants like him to pursue UPSC Coaching Online. The physical coaching centres in any location of the country are highly expensive and not affordable by many. Moreover, the students end up wasting a lot of time commuting to reach the Coaching Centres and then spending a lot of time there already being exhausted. This can be alternatively done from the comfort of your home through YouTube Tutorials and live-streaming of lessons.
For many people belonging to rural areas, who cannot relocate to another city due to social and family constraints, online coaching has been a boon. The use of technology over the last decade almost in every field has been revolutionary and same trend has been seen in the Educational Sector too. This technological revolution has changed the way we look at things and changed the way we want our children to study. Most online coaching lesson modules cost between Rs 5000 & Rs 15,000. So, a complete course package including all the relevant subjects can sum up to around Rs 60,000 and Rs 90,000. This is almost 50% to 60% cheaper as compared to the course fees of reputed premium institutes. The other costs like Cost of Commute, Vehicle maintenance, room rents (if you have relocated to another city for classes), etc can also be saved. A student learning through online courses ends up saving almost 90% of the hard-earned money that their parents pay for their education. There have been many new models of learning which have grown through the years, proving to be a blessing to the students by providing them various alternatives, so that they can choose the best suited one for them.
Conclusion- Is it good to join an Online Coaching for UPSC, Civil Services?
Keeping in mind all the pros and cons of Online Coaching discussed in this article, one should be able to make a decision based on his circumstances. The Cons of online coaching can be overcome by keeping a positive, proactive and a cautious approach towards the difficulties one may face.
It is always a better option to look at the positive side of anything and make the best use of the resources available. Going forward with this approach, taking Online Coaching for UPSC, Civil Services can be a very good idea and perhaps the best way of learning saving a lot of time, resources and energy.