To know what is penetration testing- It is a proactive and authorized attempt to evaluate the security of an IT network infrastructure by attempting to exploit system vulnerabilities, including Operating System, service and application flaws, improper configurations, and risky end-user behavior in a controlled manner. Such assessments are also useful in validating the efficiency of defensive mechanisms. It enhance the end-users’ adherence to security policies.
The objective of penetration testing is to determine security vulnerabilities. A penetration test can also be used to test an organization’s security policy. As well as employees’ security awareness and the organization’s ability to identify security incidents is also improved.
HOW TO DO IT:
- Penetration tests are typically performed using manual or automated technologies.
- Main Purpose is to systematically find compromise servers, endpoints, web applications, wireless networks and other potential points of exposure.
- After vulnerabilities have been successfully exploited on a system, testers attempt to use the compromised system to launch subsequent exploits at other resources,
- It is done by trying to incrementally achieve higher levels of security clearance and deeper access to electronic assets.
NEED OF PENETRATION TESTING:
Penetration testing are valuable for following several reasons:
- To determine the feasibility of a particular set of attack vectors.
- To identify the higher-risk vulnerability that results from a combination of lower-risk weaknesses exploited in a particular sequence.
- To Identify those vulnerabilities that may be difficult to detect with automated network or application scanning software.
- For assessing the magnitude of potential business and operational impacts of attacks.
- For testing the ability of network defenders that how successfully detect and respond to the attacks.
BENEFITS OF PENETRATION TESTING:.
It intelligently manage vulnerabilities:
The testing provides detailed information on actual and exploitable security threats. with it, you can identify which type of vulnerabilities are most critical and which one is less significant. It allows organization to prioritize remediation, apply needed security and allocate security resources more efficiently.
Avoids the cost of network downtime:
Recovering from a security attack can cost an lot of money related to IT remediation efforts, customer protection and retention programs etc. The testing helps to avoid these financial pitfalls by identifying and addressing risks before attacks.
Meets regulatory requirements :
The detailed reports that penetration test generates can help company to avoid significant fines for non-compliance and allow them to illustrate ongoing due diligence in to assessors by maintaining required security controls.
Preserves corporate image and customer loyalty:
Even a single incident of hacked customer data can be costly in terms of negatively affecting sales and vanishing organization’s public image. With customer retention costs higher, no one wants to lose the loyal users. The Penetration testing helps to avoid data incidents that put your organization’s reputation at stake.
TYPES OF PENETRATION TESTINGS:
1. Targeted testing: It is performed by the company’s IT team and penetration testing team working together. Also called as a “lights-turned-on” approach because everyone can see the test being carried out.
2. External testing: This type of test targets an organization’s externally visible servers or devices which includes domain name servers (DNS), e-mail servers, web servers etc. The mail goal is to find out if an attacker can get in and how far they can get in once they have gained access.
3. Internal testing: This test mimics an inside attack by an authorized user having standard access privileges. This kind of test is useful for estimating how much damage an employee could cause.
4. Blind testing: A blind test strategy includes the actions and procedures of a real attacker by severely limiting the detail given to the person who’s performing the test beforehand. Because this type of test can require a considerable amount of time so it can be expensive.