The word ‘fashion’ immediately conjures up images of glitz and glamour. Fashion has been in existence for over 5000 years and is changing every day today fashion design has carved its own importance and has become part of education. From time immemorial it has been considered as a mode of Self Expression. Fashion Trends and distinct dressing styles vary across cultures in terms of colours, designs, styles etc.
Fashion designing refers to the designing of clothes and lifestyle accessories. It is influenced by cultural and social attitudes. It has come a long way from the designer clothes worn by the royals in the ancient world to the haute couture products of the present.
Fashion designing is today considered and is one of the most lucrative, appealing, glamorous and exciting career options. If you are a person with penchant for creativity, style and originality, then career in fashion designing is definitely for you. The fashion industry satisfies the creative fancies and the materialistic needs of the people. A career in fashion designing definitely promises glamour, fame, success and a high pay package.
Fashion designing needs you to combine your creativity with managerial skills to sustain in this industry. Therefore, if you can create magic with colours, shapes and designs, then just go for beginning a successful career in the alluring world of fashion designing with a professional degree in this field in your hand.
Excellent skill set comprising of a decent aesthetic sense, colour expertise, good taste and sense of trends and fashion and good knowledge of fabrics is what you need to have to build up your career as a fashion designer.
India Today conducted Nielsen survey on the top institutes for fashion designing in India.
According to this survey, the colleges which secure top 10 position in the row are:
1) National Institute of Fashion Technology
2) Pearl Academy of Fashion
3) National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Banglore
4) School of fashion technology
5) Symbiosis Institute of Design
6) National Institute of Design (NID)
7) National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kharghar
8) National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kolkata
9) National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Gandinagar
10) JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
To get admission into fashion designing institutes, students need to write an admission test. Cited below is a list of entrance exams for Fashion Designing:
- Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) Entrance Exam
- NIFT (National Institute of Fashion Technology) Entrance Exam
- Common Entrance Examination For Design (CEED)
- National Institute for Design (NID) Entrance Exam
- Pearl Academy of Fashion Entrance Exam
- Aditya Institute of Technology Fashion Designing Entrance Exam
- Apeejay Institute of Design Fashion Designing Entrance Exam
- Army Institute of Fashion Design Admission Test
- Central Footwear Training Institute Entrance Exam
- Centre for International Management Entrance Exam
- Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing Entrance Exam
- Creative-i College of Creative Arts Entrance Exam
- Department of Industrial Design Entrance Exam
- Design Institute of India Entrance Exam
- DSK International Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- Film and Television Institute of India Entrance Examination
- Government Institute of Garment Technology Entrance Exam
- I E C School of Art & fashion Entrance Exam
- IDC, IIT Bombay Entrance Exam
- IMS Academy of Fashion and Jewelry Design Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute Of Art and Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur Entrance Exam
- Infopark School of fashion Entrance Exam
- International Centre of Art & design Entrance Exam
- International Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- J D Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Janaki Devi Vocational centre Entrance Exam
- Jewellery Design & Technology Institute Entrance Exam
- Laxmidevi Institute of Engineering & Technology Entrance Exam
- Lisa Institute of fashion Private Limited Entrance Exam
- MAEER’s MIT Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- Mayura School of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- National Academy of Fashion technology Entrance Exam
- National Entrance Examination for Design (NEED)
- National School of Drama Screening Test Entrance Exam
- NIFT-TEA Knitwear Fashion Institute Entrance Exam
- North East Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Northern India Institute Of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Rai University Entrance Exam
- Shrishti School of Art, Design & Technology Entrance Exam
- The Apparel Training & Design Centre Entrance Exam
- The School Of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Entrance Exam
- Vidya Institute Entrance Exam
- Wigan and Leigh Fashion School Entrance Exam
Mumbai is the city of fashion and design. It houses some of India’s top fashion technology institutes and colleges. The list of top colleges for fashion designing in Mumbai is given below:
- India International Trade Centre, Mumbai: IITC, India International Trade Center, is one of the premier job-oriented educational institutes in India. To meet the growing demand for designers IITC has developed various professional courses to provide creative talent to Exporters, Garment Houses, Boutiques, Interior firms, Jewellery Showrooms, etc. It provides :
- Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Diploma in Accessory Designing
- Diploma in Jewellery Designing
- WLC College, Mumbai: Recognized in the industry for its creative excellence, WLCI School of Fashion provides 2 programmes in fashion designing:
- Bachelor in Fashion Designing
- Masters in Fashion Designing
- Raffles Design International, Mumbai: Raffles Design, with its very first international design college in India, has its uniqueness in providing programs that are consistent in Design. It provides Bachelor of Design, awarded by Raffles College Pty Ltd, Australia.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai: NIFT Mumbai, due to the presence of glamour world, major national, International Fashion Brands and Retail houses provides an ideal environment for fashion students in terms of Industry exposure, class room learnings, projects and placements. It provides following programmes:
- B. Des. (Fashion Design)
- B. Des. (Knitwear Design)
- B. Des. (Textile Design)
- B. Des. (Fashion Communication)
- Smt. P. N. Doshi Women’s College, Mumbai: Smt. P. N. Doshi Women’s College is managed by SPRJ Kanyashala Trust, and conducted by Sarvajanik Education Society. It provides Advance Diploma course in Fashion Designing.
- Sophia PolyTechnology nic, Mumbai: Established in June 1970, the Sophia Shree Basant Kumar Somani Polytechnic was founded by theSociety of the Sacred Heart. It provides following courses in field of fashion designing :
- Course in Textile Design
- Course in Dress Designing and Garment Manufacturing
- J D Institute of Fashion Designing, Mumbai: J D Institute of fashion technology is one of the earliest names established in the Indian fashion industry. Founded in 1988 JD institute of fashion technology is counted among the best fashion designing schools. It offers following courses:
- B.Sc in Fashion and Apparel Designing
- M.Sc in Fashion Communication
- One Year Diploma in Fashion Business Management
- Diploma in Jewellery Designing
In India, the fashion industry is still in its fledgling stage. This industry offers plenty of opportunities for talented, hard working and enthusiastic people. Prospects for fashion design graduates are pretty good. Thanks to the huge and growing demand for “designer wear” and the equally outsized quantity of exports.
After successful completion of the course, you can remain self employed. Alternatively, several export houses, garment store chains, textile mills, leather companies, boutiques, fashion show organizers, jewellery houses and media houses recruit professionals interested in a career in fashion designing.
The Starting monthly package can be around Rs.10, 000 to Rs.15, 000. With experience, you will acquire maturity in designing skills and a few years down the line your salary would be in the range of Rs.30, 000 to Rs.40, 000 per month. Of course, if you become a reputed designer you could demand the world.
Great fashion designers salary always shows an upward moving trend. However, hard work and a conscious effort to update the latest trends in the fashion industry are imperative.