Civil engineering is nothing but designing, supervising and maintaining of large construction projects whether it be at construction site or at office. Construction project can be any, for example , say, buildings, tunnels, dams, airports, bridges, etc. Civil engineering is one of the oldest forms of engineering.
Civil engineers play a vital role in our day to day life. Without them, we wouldn’t have had clean water supply, roads, and trains to travel etc. They consider ample things while working with a particular project. They take into consideration the duration of the project, its cost and whether it can withstand the hazardous conditions such as earthquake, cyclones etc. Civil engineers have always faced the challenges of thinking about the future: advancing civilization and building our quality of life. Civil engineers are our problem solvers. They meet and solve the challenges such as Traffic congestion, drinking water and energy needs, urban redevelopment, pollution, community planning, transportation.
Civil engineering can further be divided into the following :-
- Control engineering
- Forensic engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Urban engineering
- Structural engineering
- Water resource engineering
- Earthquake engineering
Control engineering :- This branch of civil engineering that applies control theory i.e it uses sensors to identify the output and that output is given through feedback to input and as a correction to the system.
Forensic engineering :- This branch of civil engineering deals with the investigation of the material or products that fail to work or that contains fault. It locates or corrects the faults which is being found whether it be a building which was not found immune to disaster, or it can be any roads or highways.
Transportation engineering :- This branch of civil engineering deals with the transport areas, such as construction of roads, highways, streets etc so that people can move safely and efficiently.
Urban engineering :-This branch of civil engineering deals with the construction and maintainance of municipal infrastructure such as roads, sewer lines, public parks, street lighting etc.
Structural engineering :- This branch of civil engineering deals with the structural analysis of any building or any bridge or tunnels. First the structure is being checked whether it is suitable and can resist loads and then it is being acted upon.
Water resource engineering :-This branch of civil engineering deals with analyzing and modeling small to large areas to predict the content of water. It predicts the quantity and quality underground water or water above the ground. Basically, it deals with the management of water.
Earthquake engineering :-This branch of civil engineering deals with analyzing the structure that whether it deals with the hazardous conditions or not and what are the repercussions.
The daily duties of a civil engineer depends on job specializations. This includes:
- Preconstruction planning
- Infrastructure maintenance
- Schematics, maps, and drafting software
- Creating structures and systems
- Large amount of technical and computer work
- Design Implementation
- Assess of funding and needs
- Making decisions about schedule, materials and staffing
How to become a civil engineer
- Civil engineering requires minimum ofbachelor’s degree of four years. A certification course can also be done after that.
- Civil engineering is basically concerned with the construction and site working, so he should possess interest and is able to work in variety of work environment.
- They should be creative enough to plan and analyse things properly. They should have good imagination power and designing capability.
- They should be good at mathematics and science skills.
- They should have problem solving skills because civil engineering is all about problems and finding an easy way for its solution.
- After Civil Engineering one can go for M.tech or if else interested in Engineering services than can go for IES.
You may also like to visit :-
Users can give suggestions in comment box so as to improve the article