DU Tips and Tips before deciding on a DU college
Every thing before you join DU
Points you need to remember before entering DU
The college is the first step towards adulthood and it is confusing because of its complexity. Enter any college campus during your admission time the confusion smacks you between the red brick buildings that look alike, overcrowded corridors, jam packed canteen, worried parents, harassed counselors and a variety of multi-colored forms to fill. The college world seems to swirl to anyone in an indifferent cloud.
Since college life is different from your sheltered school life it is very important to study in a good college. After Class XII Board results each student decides which college to apply. The decision of choosing the right college is very important as it will have an impact on your career. From where you have pursued your graduation holds lot of importance in the corporate world.
India has 232 universities with about 9,500 colleges to choose from,DU is one of the gem of Indian education, so face the reality that trying to get into any old college in India isn’t a problem but which one suit the best is an issue. The world is full of competition and students looking for the best colleges because of fear and status think that that an incorrect decision could ruin their future. For many students the whole admission process and clearing the entrance exam is a nightmare experience but if doing a proper research and moving into a systematic order the whole process can be easy.
Steps for admission at DU
The first step is to decide the stream in which you want to do a course. It could be science, commerce, arts, and law. This choice also depends on the subjects taken in class 12. Like if in class 12 I had undertaken business studies, maths, accounts and economics and if I wish do something related to these subjects, then I would chose the commerce stream and take a course in that stream like an Economics hon. or a B.Com hons. Or if sometimes you are unsure about which stream you want to chose, then you could either take the help of a counselor or talk to people in your family. The best thing to do is to see what interests you and then make a decision.
Short listing Colleges is the toughest and the most confusing part of the procedure by a student because of having different priorities while applying to. Given below are some ways of classifying the DU colleges:
- There are some colleges which are only girls colleges namely, Lady Sri Ram(LSR), Gargi college, JMC, Miranda House, Indraprastha, Janki Devi Memorial College, Kamala Nehru College, Daulat Ram College, Laxmi Bai College, Maitreyi and Lady Irwin College while the others are co-ed colleges.
- There also some colleges which offer evening courses like Deshbandhu College, Dyal Singh College, Motilal Nehru College, Ram Lal Anand College, Satyawati College, Khalsa College, Bhagat Singh College, Shri Aurobindo College and Zakir Hussain College.
College is a place for new beginning and it will shape the all future of a student and choosing a “right’ college make all the difference. Following are the certain things that will help you decide which college to choose from and a correct decision:
1) Make a list of colleges: The first step is to make a list of all the colleges that offer the course you want to pursue. In every city, there are many colleges that will offer courses you want to pursue. Once the list is made, you can research about that college by going through its website, brochure and talking to people about it.
2) Know about the faculty: One of the most important factors that should help you decide on which college to study is academics. Therefore it’s important to find out about the faculty of that college. One way the best way to find out is to talk to the students who are currently studying there. They are the best critics of the level of academics in the institution.
3) Placements: Another important thing to consider about a college is that does it offer placements and if yes are they good enough. Find out how many students from the college get picked up by companies, what companies come to recruit, average salary package students get, etc. This will help you know about college’s reputation in the corporate world.
4) Infrastructure & Facilities: Infrastructure plays an important role in deciding the college especially that of Government College. There are some courses that require certain facilities, lab and equipments that will help students to learn and grow. Like science students require proper labs, for journalism students proper cameras, editing suites are required. Besides all this students need laptops, Wi-Fi environment, conference hall, etc. in its college. Make sure that the course you choose has all the facilities required to give you the best learning experience.
5) Alumni: Alumni are a true reflection of a college. If former students of the college are placed well and are doing well, it means the college is good. Hence, you should speak to alumni to give you an idea of the standing of the institution in the professional world.
6) Location: It should not be an important criteria but choosing a college closer to home is everyone’s preference. No one wants to travel long distance and get exhausted even before the classes start. Many students who are doing exhaustive courses like engineering or medicine move to different cities to study in the college. Hence, where your college is situated also makes a difference.
7) Hostel: Almost all the colleges have hostel facility but some doesn’t have. Choosing the college with hostel is also an important criteria for students who are coming from different cities. While applying for hostel you should talk to the current students about the hostel environment.
8 ) Extracurricular activities: College is a place where you get the chance to bring out your hidden talents and not just indulge in academic pursuits If you have interest in sports, debating, music or dance then college will help you discover these talents. It is best to choose a college which has departments of your interest like a debating club or choreography team.
« what is use of home state rank in exams Career potential of popular DU courses »
Tell us Your Queries, Suggestions and Feedback