Email is a communication mechanism that is widely used overall world. The mechanism can be categorized into two divisions.
1. Open Web Based Email Service: This service provides email services for free.
2. Closed Web Based Email Service: It is managed by organization for employees, students and members.
Security of email accounts are very prominent because social & commercial websites need it. Email contains personal information, secrets of a company and many more confidential things so the chances of email hacking has increased.
Types of Attack: These are the way in which any hacker gain access to the email accounts
Hackers often send some massive email broadcasts with a hidden incoming IP address and email address. Users may open the spam, read it, and possibly be tempted by schemes offered. If the spammer gets an idea of a company’s sending email and IP address, the impact on the company’s business would be harmful.
Some email incorporate Sobig virus in the form of transportation. In this a kind of spamming infrastructure is developed by which unauthorized person gain access.
In this fake IDs are designed with the same logo of any reputed company. Uses does not recognize the difference between real & fake one. These mail ask for the account no, birthday of the user which leads to possibility of hacking of account.
HOW TO PREVENT EMAIL HACKING:
- Always use HTTPS that appears before web address.
- Try not to open unfamiliar mails, do not click any link given in respective mail.
- Install antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall in the PC and keep them updated.
- Do not log in your account from any untrusted system.
- Passwords, Security questions must be strong and keep them changing in every six months.
- Enable two-step verification if you use Google for any operation. These steps add additional security to a Google account. After entering username and password, you’ll need to enter in a code that Google sends out via voice-mail or text when you sign in.
What to do after email account is compromised:
- Update security Software: PC must be up to date with current OS updates and antivirus updates.
- Recover Account: Go to “I forgot my Password” option & follow reset instruction. You can also contact your email service provider.
- Change Account Information: Make sure that your new password is strong and change the security question.
- Tell you contacts about Hacking: Let your contacts know about hacking and tell them not to pay attention to the emails sent from your address.
List of suspicious software that can be found online:
- Keylogger: This software can record keystrokes we type on keyboard and send it to hacker.
- Trojan: Also called remote administrative tools which is used by user to get e-mail password and access to your computer to see all the activities being performed.
- RAT: It is a inbuit key-logger that retrieves the password and other important information.