eography Optional Strategy by UPSC topper Alok Ranjan
Here are some Geography Optional strategy by UPSC topper Alok Ranjan and make use of the tips to crack the UPSC Mains without any hindrance.
Geography Optional Strategy preparation plays a key role
Preparing for UPSC is a piece of cake if you are sincerely into it and selecting a correct optional is a actually a great way to pick the subject that you have tremendous interest. Read below to know some of the trips and tricks followed by Alok Ranjan for clearing the UPSC Mains.
Geography Optional Strategy – Better than other subjects?
For UPSC students, Geography is one of the most chosen subjects for the Mains exam. Nearly one-third of the IAS candidates prefer this subject. Check out the below list to know why Geography Optional seems to be the best optional subject for the students.
- Quite easier to learn
- Coaching and study materials are available in abundance
- Success rate is way too higher than other Optional subjects
- You can prepare for Geography Optional while studying for the UPSC Preliminary exams.
- Most of the Geography Optional syllabus comprises of topics from General Studies Paper I and III
Why Geography Optional is not preferred by some IAS aspirants?
Uncertainty is an exclusive reason for not considering Geography optional as UPSC questions are somewhat difficult.
It is not only about preparing from the books and study materials but students should also have a wide knowledge about the current issues and theories.
An Overview of Geography Optional Subject
Advantages of Geography Optional
Any IAS student can prepare by themselves and coaching is not actually required
- This is why most of the high-scoring students choose Geography Optional
- Whether you are an Engineering student or arts student, you can actually choose the this subject as it is more theoretical and easier to learn.
- As said earlier, many topics can be learned while preparing for the General Studies paper
- Environment, Ecology, Bio-diversity, Disaster Management and more are covered in the General Studies preparation itself.
Shortcomings of Geography Optional
Syllabus is a main concern when it comes to Geography optional and it is quite difficult to wrap up the preparation when you are running out of time.
If you don’t have so much time for preparation, then it is better to opt for some other optional subjects that you can prepare easily.
Remembering everything you learn is actually not possible and keeping things in mind, suggesting you to select other subject if you don’t have keen interest.
Every year thousands of students who appear for the UPSC Mains choose Geography optional. This implies that there is much competition in this subject.
- Most of the study materials are available out there and you just need to surf using the web browser and find reliable resources for the preparation instead of spending your fortune.
- NCERT books ( class 6 to 12) is very essential for any student who are novice to the Geography optional subject
- This will let the students to have a basic foundation.
- Remember the days when we used to score marks using the Atlas and this is going to help you gain marks here as well.
- While preparing for the exams, just make use of the atlas and Atlas is a part and parcel of Geography optional subject.
Tit-bits for your preparation
Many of us have wrong conception about Geography and think that it is a static subject but it is one of the most happening subject that every individual should learn.
As specified previously, it is essential to acquire instant updates about Geography Optional subject.
After reading all the tips and tricks, you would have understood about the topics, preparation and other stuff as well. Above all, it is your dedication level, practice and sincerity towards the subject that will help you to reach heights.
Moreover, it is better to get instructions from coaching centers and knowledgeable individuals who has helped several students in achieving their passion.
Geography optional books that you can make use of
- Class 11 and 12 books of NCERT
- Physical Geography- Savindra Singh
- India a Comprehensive Geography – Khuller
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – GC Leong
- Human Geography by Majid Hussain
- Map Entries in Geography K.Siddhartha
- Rupa Made Simple Economic and Social Geography
- Best IAS Coaching in Hyderabad.
- Best IAS Coaching in Delhi.
- Top IAS Coaching in Mumbai.
- Best IAS coaching in Chandigarh
- IAS Coaching in Bangalore.
- Best IAS Coaching in Kolkata.
- Best IAS Coaching in Chennai.
IAS Notes UPSC Toppers group