How to Prepare Sentence Correction for GMAT
HOW TO PREPARE SENTENCE CORRECTION FOR GMAT
The sentence correction section of the GMAT examination comprise of more than one third of the verbal section.
It is advisable to give 1 minute and 20 second to each question of the GMAT examination. The reason for this is that in the critical reasoning section and the RC section of the verbal you are supposed to give more time as it involves exhaustive reading.
You are supposed to be very Thorough concepts of modifiers, Parallesim, subject-verb agreement pronoun comparison.
The GMAT verbal section is not just about the grammar it’s more about how clearly it would be able to derive the right meaning
BEST OPTION DOES NOT MEAN IDEAL
In the GMAT options, there will be right answer that is best among all the given options but they are not the ideal. It may look you the absurd Answer choice.
THE APPROACH TO PROCESS SC
- Take a first glance.
- Read for the meaning of the sentence.
- Look for the starting point.
- Look whether you can tackle this question. If you can tackle option eliminate all the incorrect choices. And reached to the right answer. If you cannot tackle this question ignore and again give look for the starting point.
- Start comparing the answers to find the splits if you cannot find an error in the original sentence.
Managing the sentence correction section timing.
The best way to move quickly and get the right answer also is the below procedures.
- You will find that most answer choices contain more than one error. You just need to have only one valid reason to not select any wrong answer.
- You will find the same error is repeated the multiple times in other two or more choices.
- Look for the meaning of the sentence that it produces.
Although prats first gained National recognition for her movie set design, Including those for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations remember her as the model of the Gwalior, the ITM University, and the city of heart.
- Including those for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations remember.
- Like that for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations will remember.
- Like those for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations remembered.
- Including that for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations remembered
- Including those for learning by heart and enjoy learning, future generations will remember.
Approach to Solve GMAt SC Question:
Don’t wait just glanced to the entire problem. Look how long is the underlined part? What’s happening where the underline starts?
Take a glace:
You will always find the difference in the first word of the five options point you will find at least one difference. So look properly the first word of each choice.
The split here is of including verses like.
Remember including is used to introduce the example. So what likes is used for indicating the similarity between two or more words.
Give the sentence for the meaning
When you are reading the sentence keep in mind that when you read the sentence you have to keep the eye on both grammar and the meaning.
Understand that a sentence can be grammatically correct and still it’s in logical or ambiguous.
Like:- Salman Khan and Aamir Khan went to the movies in his car.
Wait wait… Whose car did you take? Salman Khan? Aamir Khan?
The sentences on clear.
You can see that the sentence starts with although so you have to maintain the rest of the sentence to convey the contrast.
Find the starting point
Most of the sentence correction question will check your skills in different forms. For tackling the sentence correction question you are supposed to find the start point?
Generally, you will be having one of the two starting points:-
- You may spot the error in the original sentence.
- You will notice the splits or differences between the answer choices.
India bomb example you would be able to find the split between the including end like. You need to think that why the sentence mention these two films? Actually, they are representing the examples of pets movie set designs. And as we have discussed the examples we can use the word including. We cannot use the word like as like is used for describing the similarity.
ELIMINATE ALL INCORRECT CHOICES
Remove the answer choices which is having like.
Repeat the above III and IV steps eliminate the remaining answers voices. If at some point of time you won’t be able to identify the difference mark the one which you feel the more closest point and move on to the next question.You can see in the above example that the future tense will remember t give the right meaning. And that we can find in the option 5th.
- You will also notice a difference between that and those here.
- although both that and those are pronouns.
- Remember that is used for singular.
- Those used for plural.
That solves for the SC section of the GMAT. Follow the above principle and you will Rock.
ALL THE BEST!!