Sample paper of Biology of UPCAT 02:-
1. Polyploid derived from two different species is called
2. Which one of the following theories on the origin of life is mostly accepted?
(b) Chemical origin
(c) Special creation
(d) Steady state
3. A flower which can be divided into two equal halves by only one plane is
4. The rosette habit of cabbage can be changed by application of …….
5. The gene of sickle cell anaemia is inherited by
(a) Blood cells
(b) Bone cells
(c) Sex chromosomes
6. Effective filtration pressure in glomerulus is caused due to …….
(a) Afferent arteriole is slightly larger than efferent arteriole.
(b) Vacuum develops in proximal convoluted tubule and sucks the blood.
(c) powerful pumping action of the heart.
(d) secretion of adrenalin.
7. In a population, unrestricted reproductive capacity is called
(a) Biotic potential
(c) Carrying capacity
(d) Birth rate
8. Banana bunchytop virus is transmitted, through
(a) Culex sp
(b) Agrobacterium sp
(c) Pentalonia nigronervosa
(d) Aedes aegypti
9. In genetic code, 61 codons code for 20 different types of amino acids. This is called
10. The amount of CSF in the cranial cavity
(a) 500 ml
(b) 140 ml
(c) 1 litre
(d) 1.5 ml
11. By the statement ‘survival of the fittest’, Darwin meant that ___________
(a) The cleverest of the species survives
(b) The most adaptable of the species to changes survives
(c) The strongest of all species survives
(d) The most intelligent of the species survives
12. In a tissue culture media, the resource of the phytohormone is
(b) Coconut milk
(c) Agar agar
13. Which one of the following plants is considered as lesser known species of food crops?
(a) Eleusine coracana
(b) Penniseturn typhoides
(c) Psophocarpus tetragonolobus
(d) Sorghum vulgare
14. Glucose and amino acids are reabsorbed in the
(a) proximal tubule
(b) distal tubule
(c) collecting duct
(d) loop of Henle
15. Which one is imino acid?
16. The main difference between Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria is
(a) Cell membrane
(b) Cell Wall
17. ACTH is secreted from
(a) Adrenal cortex
(c) Adrenal Medulla
18. Which of the following is the correct pathway for propagation of cardiac impulse ?
(a) SA node AV node Bundle of His Purkinje fibers
(b) AV node Bundle of His SA node Purkinje fibers
(c) SA node Purkinje fibers AV node Bundle of His
(d) Purkinje fibers AV node SA node Bundle of His
19. When 2 to 3 drops of Benedicts reagent are added to a urine sample and heated gently, it turns yellow. This colour change indicates that _______________
(a) Urine contains 1.5% glucose
(b) Urine contains 1% glucose
(c) Urine contains 2% glucose
(d) Urine contains 0.5% glucose
20. Pyramid of energy in ecosystems is
(a) Always upright
(b) Always inverted
(c) Mostly upright
(d) Mostly inverted
21. A clone is ……..
(a) a group of dissimilar organisms produced as a result of asexual reproduction
(b) a group of genetically dissimilar organisms produced as a result of sexual reproduction
(c) a group of genetically similar organisms produced through asexual reproduction
(d) a group of genetically similar organisms produced through sexual reproduction
22. Inner surface of the bronchi, bronchioles and fallopian tubes are line by
(a) cubical epithelium
(b) columnar epithelium
(c) squamous epithelium
(d) ciliated epithelium
23. Electric potential of the brain is recorded by
(a) CT Scan
24. The space between the plasma membrane and the cell wall of a plasmolyzed cell surrounded by a hypertonic solution is occupied by the …………
(a) hypertonic solution
(c) hypotonic solution.
(d) isotonic solution
25. Which of the following is related to humoral immunity ?
26. When the two ecosystems overlap each other, the area is called
27. Fertilization occur in
(d) Fallopian tube
28. When the blood contains a high percentage of CO2 and a very low percentage of O2 the breathing stops and the person. becomes unconcious. This condition is known as ……
29. A female Anopheles mosquito can be recognized by
(a) Proboscis and palpi are long and more or less of equal length
(b) Proboscis long and palpi short
(c) Proboscis short and palpi long
(d) Both proboscis and palpi are short
30. Which one of the following is mainly responsible for green house effect ?
31. The anterior V-spot in microfilaria of Wuchereria represents
(a) Nerve ring
(b) Cervical papilla
(c) Excretory System
(d) Reproductive system
32. Casparian strips are present in the _________ of the root
33. Mannitol is
(a) Amino acid
(b) Amino alcohol
(c) Sugar alcohol
(d) Sugar acid
34. How do you differentiate a frog from a toad?
(a) Frog has a tail but toad has no tail
(b) Frog has no parotid glands but toad has a pair of parotid glands
(c) Frog has no exoskeleton but toad has scales.
(d) Frog respires through lungs but toad respires through skin
35. Which one of the following is polysaccharide ?
36. Which one of the following is an exotic carp species ?
(a) Barbus stigma
(b) Cyprinus carpio
(c) Labeo bata
(d) Cirrhinus mrigala
37. What will be the codons in m-RNA if the DNA codes are ATG-CAG ?
(a) TAC – GTC
(b) UAC – GUC
(c) UCA – TUA
(d) TCA – GTC
38. Populations are said to be allopatric when …………..
(a) they live together and breed freely to produce viable offspring.
(b) they are isolated but often come together for breeding.
(c) they are physically isolated by natural barriers.
(d) they are sharing the same area but cannot interbreed.
39. Which of the following two hormones are essential for induced breeding of fishes?
(a) TSH and ACTH
(b) Oestrogen and progesterone
(c) FSH and LH
(d) Vassopressin and oxytocin
40. If a cross between two individuals produces offsprings with 50% dominant character (A) and 50% recessive character (a) the genotype of parents are
(a) Aa × Aa
(b) Aa × aa
(c) AA × aa
(d) AA × Aa
41. Which of the following species is restricted to a specific area ?
(a) Sibling species
(b) Allopatric species
(c) Sympatric species
(d) Endemic species
42. Which stage of malarial parasite is infective to man?
43. Structural lipids of cell membrane are
(a) Simple lipid
44. Read the following statements A and B
A : Many organs of aquatic plants float in water.
B : Large air gaps are present in the collenchyma tissues of lotus leaf.
Select the correct answer
(a) Statements A and B both are correct
(b) Statements A and B both are wrong
(c) Statement A is correct and B is wrong.
(d) Statement B is correct and A is wrong.
45. The World Intellectual Property Day is observed on
(a) April, 26th
(b) September, 5th
(c) February, 29th
(d) June, 30th
46. The scientific name of the moth which produce tasar is
(a) Bombyx mori
(b) Antheraea mylitta
(c) Antheraea assamensis
(d) Philosomia ricini
47. Arrange the following in the ascending order of Linnaean hierarchy
(a) Kingdom − phylum − class − order − family − genus − species
(b) Species − genus − family − order − class − phylum − kingdom
(c) Kingdom − order − species − genus − class − family − phylum
(d) Kingdom − family − genus − species − class − phylum − order
48. CAM pathway is observed in _________
49. The Gastrin is secreted from
50. The types of ribosomes found in prokaryotic cell are ___________
(a) 60 S
(b) 70 S
(c) 100 S
(d) 80 S
51. Which one of the following triplet codons is a chain termination codon ?
52. The name of Smt Thimmakka is associated with the___________
(a) ‘Appiko’ movement
(b) conservation of fauna and flora of the Western Ghats
(c) planting and conservation of avenue trees
(d) agitations against hydroelectric project
53. The lactase hydrolyzes lactose into
(b) Glucose and galactose
(d) Glucose and fructose
54. In 24 hours, total glomerular filtrate formed in human kidney is
(a) 1.7 litres
(b) 7 litres
(c) 17 litres
(d) 170 litres
55. Dog distemper is a disease carried by a _____________
56. Osteomalacia is a deficiency disease of
(a) Infants due to protein enertgy malnutrition
(b) Adults due to protein enertgy malnutrition
(c) Adults due to Vitamin D deficiency
(d) Infants due to Vitamin K deficiency
57. Ptyalin is inactivated by a component of gastric juice known as
58. Animals which possess cleidoic eggs exhibit
(a) internal fertilization and external development
(b) external fertilization and external development
(c) external fertilization and internal development
(d) internal fertilization and internal development
59. Which one of the following human cells do not contain mitochondria ?
(a) Nerve cell
(b) Red blood cell
(c) Liver cell
(d) White blood cell
60. In which stage of the first meiotic division two sister chromatids are formed ?
1) Ans: (c)
2) Ans: (b)
3) Ans: (a)
4) Ans: (d)
5) Ans. (d)