THE EVOLUTION OF DELHI UNIVERSITY
The University of Delhi was the foremost university of the country and is still maintaining its standard by proving it to be the leading university. The reason behind its consistency is its high standards in teaching and research which attracts eminent scholars to its faculty. The Delhi University got its establishment under the Act of Central Legislative Assembly as a single unit comprising both teaching and residential facility for its students and the faculty.
Ever since its establishment, the university has excelled in its academics as has been a “role model” or “path finder” for the other universities. The President of India is the Visitor, the Vice- President is the Chancellor and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India is the Pro-Chancellor of the University.
The university took off with establishment of its first three colleges:
- St. Stephen’s College founded in 1881
- Hindu College founded in 1899
- Ramjas College founded in 1917
It thus had a modest start with just three colleges, two faculties (Arts and Science) and about 750 students. The University has now grown into one of the largest universities in India. At present, there are 16 faculties, 86 academic departments, 77 colleges and 5 other recognized institutes.
COURSES OFFERED BY THE UNIVERSITY
UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM :-
- B.A. (Bachelor of Arts)
- B.Arch. ( Bachelor of Architecture)
- B.Sc. ( Bachelor of Science)
- B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering)
- B.Tech. ( Bachelor of Technology)
- B.Pharm. ( Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences)
- B.Sc (IT) ( Bachelor of Sciences (Information Technology))
- B.Sc. (Biotech) (Bachelor of Sciences (Biotechnology))
- BHM Bachelor of Hotel Management
- MBBS Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- BDS Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- LLB Bachelor of Laws
POST GRADUATE PROGRAMS :-
- M.A. Master of Arts
- M.Arch. Master of Architecture (sometimes also known as M.A.)
- M.Sc. Master of Science
- M.E.- Master of Engineering
- M.Tech. – Master of Technology
- M.Pharm. Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- M.Sc (IT)- Master of Sciences (Information Technology)
- M.Sc. (Bio Tech) – Master of Sciences (Biotechnology)
- MS Master of Surgery
- MDS Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- LLM Bachelor of Laws
The university unlike the other universities is building bonds between states, regions, and international locations. The university is equipped with the advanced technology which enables professors and students access to a world of information previously available only at high costs and over long periods of time.
The University of Delhi has always been aware of its role in a larger international academic community, and inorder to acquire globalization, the University has been reaching out to fraternal institutions all over the world to collaborative programmes, research networks, student exchanges and so on.
The arousing interest for education created by the majority population that gradually seeks education, further supports development within the university. These forces continue to alter the structure of the university in three ways, which includes changes to the structure of governance, expansion of campus networks, and enhancement of university community partnerships.
Now Delhi University is planning to start 4 yr degree course and if Human Resource dept clears , Delhi university will be first Indian university with 4 yrs degree course. Although different groups are against it but it is also being seen as government initiative to buy time to create more employment as now graduation will take 33% more time to complete. Slowly all universities will follow it.