How to prepare Mathematics optional for IAS?
Choosing Math as an optional subject can be a good decision for those students who have good command over it. If you have some background knowledge of the optional subject and genuinely interested in it, then you should go for it. Here in this guide, we have mentioned how to prepare for it.
First of all, you check the syllabus and understand it. You should also look for the previous year papers to get an idea about the exam level.
Maths Optional for Civil services exam of UPSC
You can take help from the NCERT 11th and 12th books. By reading these books you can get an idea about the topics you are familiar with. There are two papers (I, II) in mains for optional and each paper is out of 250 marks.
Maths Optional UPSC paper 1 and Paper 2
PAPER I includes Analytic Geometry, Linear Algebra, Calculus, Vector Analysis, Dynamics & Statics, Ordinary Differential Equations.
PAPER II includes Real Analysis, Algebra, Numerical Analysis, and Computer programming, Complex Analysis, Partial differential equations, Mechanics and Fluid Dynamics and Linear Programming.
Choose the right book:
There are so many books that are popular for offering right information, tips and many tricks to solve the math problems in easier way. Some of them we have listed below:
- Calculus and Real Analysis: S.C Malik and Savita Arora, Shanti Narayana
- Linear Algebra: A.R.Vasista, Schaum Series
- Ordinary Differential Equations: M.D. Raisinghania, Ian Sneddon
- 3-D Geometry: P.N. Chatterjee
- Vector Analysis: A.R.Vasista, Schaum Series
- Numerical Analysis: Jain and Iyengar, K. Shankar Rao, S. S. Sastry
- Complex Analysis: Schaum Series, J.N. Sharma, Ponnu Swami, G K Ranganath
- Algebra: Joseph A. Gallian, Shramik Sen Upadhayay
- Linear Programming: Shanti Swarup, Kanti Swarup, S D Sharma
- Computer Programming: Raja Raman
- Mechanics and Fluid Dynamics: M.D. Raisinghania, R.K. Gupta, J.K. Goyal and K.P. Gupta, Azaroff Leonid
- Dynamics & Statics: A.R.Vasista, M. Ray
Most Popular coaching notes for Maths Optional is of IMS
Practice is the key:
You can score well in math with the help of practice. It makes you faster in problem-solving. It helps to learn how to avoid silly mistakes. You should go through the math problem carefully and try to solve it step by step.
You should try to understand the topics and questions correctly so that you can answer correctly.
Prepare a Formula sheet:
Math is associated with rules and formula. You should prepare a sheet that contains an important formula and keep it handy. This is the easy way to memorize formula that can be used to solve problems in main exams.
Try to solve the math problems with a relaxed mind. Once you understand the problem in math, you will surely be able to answer them.
Mathematics Coaching importance for UPSC MAINS
You should take coaching assistance in order to get command over the important topics. There are so many institutes that provide the best training at the best price.
You will surely get a nice environment and the best faculty that make your preparation easier for you.
You should also join test series. It helps to get an idea about the most asked math topics and time required to solve them.
This is also a part of practicing math problems. It helps boost up your preparation and you come to know about the areas you need to work on.
- Best IAS coaching of Kolkata
- Best IAS coaching of Chennai
- Best IAS Coaching in Delhi
- which subject is good for IAS optional in Hindi medium
- Sure Shot Tricks which can make you IAS officer in 1 st attempt itself