“International English Language System”, or IELTS is an international systematize test of English Language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. It is jointly under management by Cambridge English Language Assesment,IDP Education Pvt Ltd and British Council and was established in 1989. IELTS is among the two major English language test first being TOEFL in the world.
There are two versions of IELTS Exam-
2-General Training Version
- The Academic Version is purposeful for those who want to eTake admission in universities and other institutions that provides higher education and for professionals such as medical doctors and nurses who want to study or practice in a foreign country.
- The General Training Version is purposeful for those planning to undertake non-academic training or to gain work experience.
The IELT exam is divided into four categories that includes-
This category consists of four sub sections of increasing difficulty. 30-40 is required for testing and 10 mins for transferring the answers to an answer sheet. Each section starts with a short introduction telling the students about the condition and speaker. Then they are given some time to look through the questions. The first three sections have a break in the middle to allow candidates to look at the rest of the questions. Each section is heard only once. At the end of this section students are given 10 minutes so that they cantransfer their answers to an answer sheet.
This section is divided into s three sections, with 3 texts that are followed by 13 or 14 questions from 40 questions overall. The General test also comprises of three sections.The texts provided are shorter.
In this section, there are two tasks: in Task 1 candidates are asked to describe a diagram, graph, process or chart, and in Task 2 they are required to respond to an argument.
The speaking test category contains three sections. The first section is an interview section during which candidates may be asked about general topics, hobbies, their interests etc . In the second section candidates are given a topic and then they have to speak on that topic for one minute. The third section includes discussion between the examiner and the candidate, generally on questions relating to the theme which they have already spoken in section 2.
IELTS TEST BOOKS-
1-TITLE–Cambridge Grammar for IELTS Student’s Book with Answers and Audio CD
PUBLISHER–Cambridge University Press 2007
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS covers all the part of the grammar needed for the IELTS exam, and helps in developing listening skills at the same time.
- It involves a wide range of IELTS tasks from the Academic and General Training sections-Reading, Writing and Listening modules, and also contains helpful grammar explanations and a grammar glossary.
- A Student’s Book that dosn’t contains answers is also available.
2-TITLE-Barron’s IELTS: International Language Testing System
PUBLISHER–Barron Educational Series, incorporate 2010
- It is a simple, clear and straightforward guide. Easy for self learning.
- IT covers all type of questions- multiple choice, sentence completion , short answers,graphs, making notes, tables etc.
- It consists of four practice tests.
AUTHOR– Vanessa Jakeman, Clare McDowell
PUBLISHER– Cambridge University Press, 2006
- This book is short, self study adviser for students who want to take IELTS test.
- This book is organised in to various categories and examines each type of question in detail.
- It provides students last minute action plan, examples , practice tests to increase their band score in the test
- Action plan is given for both the module that is academic and general training module.
- self study student’s book and CD is also available for this book.
AUTHOR-Vanessa Jakeman, Clare McDowell
PUBLISHER–Cambridge University Press,2008
- It involves complete preparation practice for IELTS for students wishing to take IELTS test.
- It contains tips, sample IELTS throughout the book in each unit and includes detailed answer-key also.
- The book is divided into four sections –
- listening, reading, speaking and writing.Each section begins with an introduction of IELTS.
PUBLISHER- Cambridge University Press 2007
- In this book first a brief introduction is given about IELTS their categories, test format for IELTS is given
- .Every module is explained.
- How a candidate can score good in Ielts exam for that helpful advice are given.General training tests are given along with the answer key.Module test paper are also given in this book with answer sheets.
AUTHOR–Louis Hashemi, Barabara Thomas.
PUBLISHER-Cambridge University Test,2011
- The book is divided into sections- listening, speaking, reading, writing.
- Six full practice tests plus easy to follow exam preparation tips are given in this book.
- The first two tests are fully comprised with step-by-step advice on how to solveeach paper.
- Extra practice papers along with the answer sheets are given.
For free online mock test click here