Reality Shows are genre of television shows or program which feature common people and /or celebrities in real life or scripted situations or both .
- Human curiosity: It is said that “curiosity killed the cat” but in case of Reality Shows “curiosity lured the audience”.People always love seeing common man in strange or awkward situations as he/she can connect with the person.
- Entertainment Value: Today TV is flooded with soap operas so the reality shows comes with the fresh breeze and break the boredom of audience.Anything new or different is obviously bound to be noticed.Hence the Reality Shows comes with high dose of entertainment.
- Aggressive Marketing: This is the major factor of success of Reality Shows. We see it anywhere and everywhere in TV promos,large hoardings,internet,magazines and other media.They too show some strong footage in TV promos that even uninterested person is bound to see the show.
- Power : Concept of voting in these shows give the audience the sense of power to vote for the favorite or vote for the not so likable in order to eliminate the guy.Due to this concept of voting public tend to be attached to the show.
- Talent shows : It includes singing,dancing,cooking or other forms of talent .Some of them are “Indian Idol” ,”India’s Got Talent” ,”Jhalak Dikhla Jaa”,”Just Dance” and much more.
- Game Shows: Games can be of testing your knowledge or fitness in which the better you perform the more you will earn money.Some of them are “Kaun Banega Crorepati”,”Wipeout”,”Das Ka Dam” etc.
- Hidden Camera Shows: In these shows people are featured in awkward situations or odd situations and their reactions are noticed which most of the time result in humor.Some of them are “MTV Bakra” hosted by Cyrus Barocha ,”Just for Laughs Gags” and “Candid Camera”.
- Social Experiment Shows:This constitute of whole Drama,conflict and transformation.Some of them are “Big Switch”,”Holiday hijack”,”Secret Millionaire”,”Satyemev Jayte” .
- Awards and prizes: The USP of reality shows is that it gives its participants the awards and prizes which is often money.Due to this concept common man also benefits.
- Instant Fame: Fame is the name of game. As you become part of these reality shows you get instant fame due to which you become popular may be for shorter period of time but still u come in limelight.
- Platform for unknown Celebs: In 2007 when Shilpa Shetty won Big Brother she became international celebrity and rest is the history now.
- Exposure to unknown talent: Due to Talent Reality Shows common man gets the platform to display their talent which may remain secluded in their native environments.
- Promotion Of Brands: Brand companies provide sponsorship to the producer of reality shows and in return their products are endorsed during show broadcasting.
- First and Foremost is that these reality shows does not portray reality ,for eg. dating shows and fly on the wall shows are filmed in documentary manner but there is no authenticity in the show.
- When Shilpa Shetty in Big Brother faced the racial comments it became breaking news and it did hurt the sentiments of Indians which proves that reality shows develops wrong notations in the public.
- Some of the reality shows consist of kids of age less than 10 years who are pitted against each other and in such young age they are compelled to compete with each other.Due to this parents directly or indirectly force their children to be a part of rate race.
- Aggression is promoted directly or indirectly by the dramatic reality shows .Contestants often use Aggression,cat fights,display of anger,use of abusive language etc are glorified to make show spicy and increase the TRP.
- Reality Shows deviates the youth mentality from academics to getting fame and success by means of shortcuts.Instead of handwork and introspection youth think these shows are a source of making quick money .
We can limit the effects of reality shows by Viewer Discretion, Role of popular