INTRODUCTION TO TCP/IP AND ITS APPLICATIONS
TCP/IP (TRANPORT CONTROL PROTOCOL/ INTERNET PROTOCOL):-
- Transport control protocol is one of the core protocol of the internet protocol and is responsible for providing error free, reliable and smooth transfer of data between the programs running in the computer and those connected to the internet.
- The data is send in form of packets.
- To avoid congestion of data it attaches a header file with each packet.
- The sequence number of the data packets and the acknowledgment file helps in error control and re transmission in case of packet loss.
Wireless Access Protocol is a technical standard for accessing information over a wireless mobile network. Before the introduction of WAP the mobile companies provided limited access to the internet.
-It provides various facilities like email, music downloads, video sharing and chat features.
- Domain Name Server as the name suggests is a distributed naming system for computer, services and resources connected to the internet.
- The main function is that it translates the domain name to the numerical IP address needed for the location of computers.
- The domain name system distributes the responsibility of assigning domain names to Authorative name servers.
- Authorative name servers are assigned to control their particular domain. They can also assign other authorative name servers for their sub domain.
- This method helps the DNS distribution fault free and avoids the need of the central register to be regularly consulted and updated.
Electronic mail or email came into effect in 1993 is a method of exchanging digital message between one user or one or more user. Earlier email system required both the users to be online. But now the email work on store and deliver model. Email server accept, forward, deliver and store messages.
The email format basically consists of two parts:-
Header:-This consists of fields such as From, To ,Cc ,Subject ,date etc
Body:-The basic content is written here. This is exactly same as body of regular letter.
- Telnet is a terminal program for TCP/IP networks such as internet.
- A telnet program runs on the computer and connects the PC to the server on the network. We can enter program using telnet program and that would be executed directly on the server.
- It also enables us to control server and communicate with other servers on network.
- Files are transferred from one host to another using file transfer protocol.
- EX- Internet
- It is built on an architecture called the client server architecture.
- It uses different control and data connections between the client and server.
- Messages are formatted and transmitted using hypertext transfer protocol.
- It is a multi set of objects between the nodes.
- It is also called stateless protocol because each command is executed independently.
EXPECTED QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS
1) WHAT IS TCP/IP?
2) WHAT IS WAP?
3) WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DNS? WHAT ARE ITS FUNCTIONS?
4) WHAT IS EMAIL?
5) WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY TELNET, HTTP AND FTP?