Question-1 What you mean by open source in terms of Linux OS?
Answer- Open source word reveal that source code of program or Linux is open for user to modify, test, redistribute. on the other hand in closed source all code is hiden. so, we cannot modify it.
There is no license requirements for a code which is open source so it is available freely, that is why linux is mostly used operating system in large corporations e.t.c.
Question-2 Name some word known distributors of Linux?
Answer- Some word known distributors of Linux are:
Question-3 Write the name of few servers that can be implemented in linux OS?
Answer- Following are the servers that can be implemented on linux:
1. NIS (network interface sever)
3. DNS (domain name server)
5. Squid server(also known proxy server)
6. Ftp(file transfer protocol ) sever etc.
Question-4 What are advance feature of Ubantu over REDHAT?
Answer- It is secure because a built-in firewall and virus protection is available. It protect our important applications and attackers can’t access our system.
It is Compatible, Fast and Accessible.
Question-5 What are advance features of REDHAT over OS?
Answer- The advance features of REDHAT are:
1. It is optimized for highly scalable, multicored system.
2. It manages underlying system complexity.
3. It reduces data bottlenecks.
4. It improves application performance.
5. It also reduces power consumption.
6. It ensures end to end data integrity.
Question-6 What is Linux? Is it OS or Kernel ?
Answer- Linux is the KERNEL of an operating system. Linux was build on UNIX tradition. Linux was originally developed by Linus Torwalds of Finland, who currently owns the Linux trademark. Linux stands for Linus’ Unix, using the open source code of Linux kernel, people have been developing operating systems based on Linux kernel. These are called the ‘Linux Distribution’.
Question-7 What is BHARAT OS ?
Answer- The open source softwares are the future for IT world, as there are many benefits of open source softwares like free and openess in usage with no payment for license. Thus the initiatives to enhance the use of free source software in the country are taken as a part of it. The Indian version of Linux Distribution BOSS (Bhart Operating system solutions) is initiated by CDMA with support from NRCFOSS at Chennai. BOSS to become the National Desktop is the main motive.
Its made specifically for the Indian environment and localized in the respective regional language. It is government of India’s initiative towards equipping common people with the benefits of computer technology as a free & open source operating system. Currently BOSS can process 9 Indian Languages, to avail the Indian product to all Indians, CDAC organised support centres in various states and conducts several trainings/workshops.
Question-8 Where the most configuration file related to different packages put in Linux?
Answer- It is put in “etc” sub directory under “/root”.
Question-9 Write the history of Linux?
Answer- 1. (1957) Bell labs found they needed an operating system for their computer center that at the time was running various batch jobs. The BESYS operating system was created at bell labs to deal with these needs.
2. (1965) Bell lab was adopting third generation computer equipment and decided to join forces with general Electric & MIT to create Multics.
3. (1969) By April 1969, AT&T made a decision to withdraw Multics and go with GECOS. As a result of which UNIX is developed.
4. (1969) Linux Torvalds is born.
5. (1991) Linux is introduced by Linux Torvalds, a student in Finland.
6. (1994) RED HAT Linux is introduced.
7. The first release of Ubuntu is released October 20, 2004.
Question-10 What is the GPL?
Answer- GPL stands for “General Public License”, and is a software license that lets people download, modify and distribute the source code to a program. The GPL is the most common license used on Linux, which is why you get all softwares at no cost and also you can install it on as many machines as you want. There are lots of other licenses in use, but the GPL is by far the most popular.