Measurement is very essential in daily life, whether it is for measuring temperature, distance, time, current, or anything related to your daily life like if you switch on your TV, Refrigerator or any appliances you need to adjust the power supply and for every appliances there is certain measure of power. So all you need is to supply that amount of power and for this you need a stabilizer which is a form of measuring and adjusting the power. In this section, find all the concepts related to Measurement and it’s significance in real world. Please give your valuable feedback through the comment section. Any type of suggestions will be highly appreciated.
The main motive of measurement is to convert the different characteristics of the empirical events into that form which can be easily analysed.
Requirements : To develop the concept of measurement there are some important requirements which include
- A set of empirical events that need to be translated
- The group of numbers which would be used to represent these events
- Some set of mapping rules
Steps Involved in Measurement
- Isolating the empirical events
- Develop the concept of interest
- Define the concepts operationally
- Develop the measurement scale
- Evaluation of scale in terms of validity and reliability
- Utilize the scale for measurement
Different levels of Measurement
- Nominal – attributes are only named, it is the weakest scale of measurement
- Ordinal – attributes can be ordered
- Interval – distance is meaningful
- Ratio – absolute zero
Types of validity in Measurement : Basically their are three types of validity in Measurements.
- Content Validity – the degree to which the scale item represents the domain or universe of the concept of the study.
- Construct Validity – the degree to which the measurement scale represents and acts like the concept being measured.
- Criterion-Related Validity – the degree to which the scale under study is able to predict a variable that is designated a criterion.
Reliability- It is measure of how much consistency and stability is possessed by a measurement scale. To measure the reliability of the measurement scale the coefficient of reliability can be used which can range from 0 to 1.0 where the value of 1.0 is considered to be perfectly reliable.
Guidelines for Minimum Reliabilities:
- 0.7 for exploratory research
- 0.8 for basic research
- 0.9 or better in applied settings where important decisions will be made from scales
Strategies for Good Measurement
- There should be a well defined concept for the purpose of measurement
- There should be operational definitions
- It requires multi item scale whenever possible
- Requires some analytical skills and expertise
- Requires validity and reliability assessment
Criteria for Selection of scale
- There should be clearly defined objective for the purpose of research
- There should be identified type of the research like rating scale, ranking, sorting etc.
- There should be effective properties or characteristics of the data
- It should clearly state the number of dimensions like if it is unidimensional or multi-dimensional
- If there is balanced or unbalanced scale
Questions on Microprocessor