Based on data collected from previous years’ papers, we have composed the sample paper for Basic Civil and Basic Mechanics which contains the frequently asked questions. Have a look at it.
Basic Civil And Basic Mechanics Engineering [B.E. – 204]
i) Total 5 questions are to be solved
ii) There is internal choice between questions.
iii) Assume any missing/misprint data.
1) i)What is curing and Why is it necessary? 4
ii)Why raw materials are required for manufacturing of cement?
Briefly describe the process of manufacturing of cement with 10
its chemical composition.
2) a)What are the various uses of stones? Name some of the commonly used 4
b) i) What are the merits and of brick over Stone? 3
ii) Explain 2 laboratory tests performed on bricks? 7
3) i) What is orientation of building? What is its significance? 8
ii)What do you understand by the following: 6
i) Elements of building.
ii) Utility of space in a building.
iii) Energy efficiency in buildings.
4) i)What do you understand by the terms ‘foundation’ and ‘superstructure’. 7
ii)What points will you observe while supervising a masonry work? 7
Compare brick masonry with stone masonry.
5) i) Compare surveyor’s compass with prismatic compass.
Explain Systems of bearing. 7
ii) The following bearings of lines were observed while conducting a close
traverse ABCD in clockwise direction. 7
Find the values of included angles.
6) i) Explain plain table intersection method of plane table surveying. 4
ii)The following offsets were taken from a chain line to a hedge. 10
Calculate the area between chain line and hedge by:
a) Simpson’s Rule
b) Trapezoidal Rule
c)Average ordinate Rule
Compare the results.
7) i) Explain Parallel axis theorem. 4
ii) A body lying on a horizontal plane is moved slowly along the plane 10
when a horizontal force of 100 N is applied to the body .
Also a force of 90 N is applied to the body at angle of 30˚to the horizontal ,
moves the body along the same plane. Determine the weight of the body and
coefficient of friction.
8) i)State law of friction. 4
ii) A shaft running at 200 r.p.m. is to drive a parallel shaft at 300 r.p.m..
The pully on the driving shaft is 60 cm diameter. Calculate the diameter 10
of the driven shaft:
a) Neglecting the belt thickness.
b) Taking the belt thickness as 5mm.
c) Assuming in the latter case a total slip of 4%.
9) i)State and explain D’ Alembert’s principle. 4
ii)A bullet weighs 0.5 N and moving with a velocity of 400 m/sec hits 10
centrally a block of wood moving away at 15 m/sec. and gets embedded
it. Find the velocity of the bullet after the impact.
10) i) Define the following terms: 7
a) A coeffecient of friction
b) Angle of friction
c) Angle of Repose
d) Cone of Friction
ii) Prove that the condition for a self locking machine is that its efficiency is less 7
We hope that you liked the set of questions we provided here in the sample paper for Basic Civil and Basic Mechanics. We would like to have your valuable feedback. In that context, write your comments in the comment box.
- Sample paper for Fluid Mechanics
- Sample paper for dynamics of machine
- Sample paper for thermodynamics